Uemis closing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, what led you to select the UEMIS over the X1 or Shearwater Predator?
While you didn't ask me, I'll still respond as I decided between exactly those three computers
X1: rotten display. I saw one in Okinawa and had to laugh.
Predator: no air integration - and I foolishly thought that's something that I needed. Now of course I wish I had gone with the Predator...

Predator: no air integration - and I foolishly thought that's something that I needed. Now of course I wish I had gone with the Predator...

If UEMIS was still in business would you still feel the same way?

If UEMIS was still in business I'd buy the Zurich again. In a heartbeat.

Amazing computer.

Sorry, gotta run to the airport for a dive trip :)

There are actually plenty of oled displays in out or in development right now that could work, though would be larger in size. The problem is that oled is moving quite rapidly from generation to generation. Each generation the "old stuff" is basically scrapped and they move on to new production lines. Unfortunately with new capabilities, technologies and new interfaces the lines physically cannot make the old stuff any more. In LCD the underlying technology is pretty much done, changes are evolutionary rather than revolutionary with updates in backlighting and edgelighting being the current forefront, so one line can run new product and switch back to old at will.

The main focus in oled development is for things like cellphones, which have a very different design focus than what a dive computer manufacturer needs. Stability and long term availability of product has not been a focus, 18 months max start to no more product available anywhere. Not to mention that the technology changes would require a dive computer to use a more traditional video system vs dot matrix which means more development upfront. That may or may not be a positive depending on your point of view though, as it would make your dive computer look more like how your smartphone looks.

That being said it is still the best technology out there. Self lit screens provide the highest contrast ratios and are seen best under water. I have been proud to wear my uemis in the past and will continue to be proud to wear it even as I wish for a quality company to purchase and support it.

Hopefully as we have now moved a generation or two beyond the initial oled screens, we will be back to having a stable usable product in another year or two.

To put it another way, if apple goes oled I would see about purchasing the same or a derivative screen. You will get 3-4 years of manufacturer availability on that as they wouldn't touch something they couldn't continue to milk as long as possible. Initial volumes will be VERY constrained by apple's purchases though, so that could make the first 6 months rather difficult to get product out to consumers.

TL/DR: Manufacturers need to learn to move faster and be in front of the electronics curve if they touch bleeding edge stuff.

I heard that some big manufacturers are designing their own LCD's - not color ones - however, it is really pitty that color dive computer manufacturers will have a difficulty to get hardware components.. I was expecting more color dive computers would be in the market..

For some manufacturers, for instances - developed an inteface for a mobile phones , like Iphone or Nokia - convert them into dive computer..

INNOVASUB - Commercial Products - Technical & Recreational Diving - Research Kits - Software

divephone_b.jpg

have a look at it. It is still in development phase and patented.

How do Liquidvision , Shearwater Research or HeinrichsWeikamp deal with ? They have also very good product..

Mares ICON HD, for my opinion , is not like the other dive computer, not professional.

IMG_3478.jpgIMG_3482.jpgIMG_3486.jpgIMG_3485.jpgIMG00301-20110327-1953.jpgmobile.jpgcomp2.jpgcomp3.jpg

I'm developing my own dive computer for a while by using cheap electronics kits, however, it is really a problem if you use other 3rd party tools or devices .. - there is always a risk of discountinued product.

Last edited:
fwiw....

re: going out of business because they ran out of OLED screens - my understanding is that they have enough of the screens on hand to continue production of the unit for 2 more years. During that time they would have redesigned the electronics to work with a new OLED.

Re: 4 million dollars in debt is also incorrect data to the best of my knowledge.

Sounds like he would. I opted for the predator that has the blutooth slate connection where the computer writes all the tables on my slate for me right before it malfunctions and turns off. It cost a little extra but it's way worth it considering they are coming up with new software all the time to make improvements. . .

:)

I really should have said anything because I don't own a uemis computer but I hope you enjoyed my joke. On a serious side, I don't particularly agree with having ten different colors on you screen and do enjoy seeing all green on my predator with the occasional color change due to an alarm. But this is my opinion.

On a serious side, I don't particularly agree with having ten different colors on you screen and do enjoy seeing all green on my predator with the occasional color change due to an alarm. But this is my opinion.
Well, as UEMIS users we certainly agree with you as the unit underwater is all green with the occasional color change due to some warning (orange) or alarm (red). This color system on both computer is simple and very efficient.

Just got back from diving the Blue Hole in Belize... my UEMIS worked great. I hope someone buys it and keeps it going.

Back
Top Bottom