UK diving in 1957

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A very interesting find indeed. I'm glad the Yorkshire Film Archive had the good sense to preserve the footage and to make it available online. I'll even forgive the misspelling of Hans Hass's wife's name in the accompanying text.

This said, it's a pity that the British Sub Aqua Club itself hasn't made more of an effort to archive material relating to the pioneering days of UK diving. There aren't even images of the front cover of the early issues of the BSAC magazine "Triton" anywhere online. Outside the hallowed circle of the UK Historical Diving Society, there seems to be so little interest in vintage scuba in the British Isles, which is sad, because the 1950s and 1960s, when I started snorkelling, are a fascinating period in sub-aqua history with so many larger than life characters contributing to its development.

That was extremely interesting, i liked seeing them doing a rescue in the pool with the old equipment, dropping the casualties weight belt and pulling them to the surface. I doubt you could do that today :wink:

I actually recognised one of the areas they where in underwater as being a place I swam through last month. Kinda a weird feeling knowing that people swam down the exact same gulley as I did over 50 years ago and how much diving has changed since then. Though i did have my wetsuit, twin hose and a big oval mask on so i suppose some in some ways it hasnt changed that much :D

I liked the amount of time they spent filming the blond suiting up and unsuiting after the dive. Whoever the cinematographer was, he'd figured out that hot chicks and diving were a winning combination before Sea Hunt or Thunderball.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom