Ultimate spare parts kit, what’s in your toolbox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife's VISA card.

extra dive computer batteries. - seen this needed WAY too many times by others.
regulator rebuild kit(s). (yeah, not much good on a boat trip, but having it on a trip, especially a liveaboard, is great in case you need to fix something or rebuild a stage
regulator rebuild manuals (print them out, put them in a large ziplock bag).
thread/needle. (I've had to stitch up a wetsuit seam before on liveaboards).
Duct tape - everything is better with Duct Tape on it.
Liquid band aid - great on liveboards for worn soft skin areas
sunscreen - because often it's forgotten otherwise
Yoke inserts - because I've actually run into a few places that don't have DIN fill adapters.
Din to Yoke adapter - in case I have to use someone elses Yoke valve tanks.
toolkit - adj wrench, allen wrenches, open end wrenches, cutting tool, bic lighter, etc.
DAN phone numbers - write them on the inside of your save a dive kit lid. you never know when you'll need them.

lots of other stuff....

BASIC TOOLKIT

Universal Tools:
-Crescent Wrenches
-Allen Wrenches
-Phillips/Standard Screwdrivers
-Pliers
-Scissors
-Lighter
-Duct Tape
-O2 (Nitrox) or O2/He analyzer
-Needle and Thread
-Liquid Band-Aid
-First Aid Kit
-Credit Card/Cash

Generic Spare Parts:
-Zip Ties
-Cave Line
-Shock Cord
-Assorted O-rings
-Bolt Snaps and Double Enders
-Washers, Wingnuts, STA bolts
-1st Stage Plugs
-Rubber Band/Inner tube
-Towel/ Baby Wipes
-Graphite Pencil
-Spare Batteries for Accessories (Computer, lights, ect..)
-ICE (In Case of Emergency #’s In Cell Phone & In Box) / DAN #’s

BP/W or BCD
Tools:
-Power Inflator Service Tool

Parts:
-Spare Power Inflator
-Inflator Hose
-Extra Belt Buckle

Canister Light
Parts:
-Spare Bulb
-Spare Switch
-Spare Boot
-Spare O-ring
-Connectors

Drysuit
Parts:
-Aquaseal
-Sandpaper
-Patches
-Condom Catheters
-Talc
-Zipper Lube
-Quick Disconnect (male and female ends)
-Zip Seals (DUI owners)
-Replacement Atlas Drygloves
-Vinegar

Misc
-Backup Mask
-Backup Bottom Timer
-Fin Strap
-Backup Flashlight
-Backup Knife & Sheath
-Assorted Hoses
-SPG
-SMB

Regulator
-Extra Reg
-1st & 2nd Stage Rebuild Kit
-IP Gauge
-Rebuild Maunal in Zip-Lock Baggie

Scooter
-Spare Parts Kit

Valves
Tools
-Valve Repair Tool
-O-ring Pick

Parts
-Yoke Insert for 200/232 Bar Din
-Din to Yoke Adapter
-Rebuild Kit
-Replacement Knob

All you really need is duct tape...fixes everything.

I actually saw a guy try to replace an o-ring with thinly rolled up tape once :rofl3:

OK, call me crazy, but do any of you people ever travel to dive, and pay the extra freight to carry these great save-a-dive kits? Don't get me wrong ... I've put together a pretty good box of spare goodies. But when you're traveling to places that charge you whatever sounds good for that day if you're over their ridiculously small baggage allowances (for a diver anyway), do you still carry that kit?

Every place we dive is somewhere else, and it's always multiple plane flights that include baggage allowances that are like 20 kilos/44 pounds. Are you all carrying 5-10 pounds of spares, or are you diving down the block???

Or to pose the question a little different than the OP, what items do you consider absolutely critical, and what are you willing to give up? And before I get flamed, believe me, I'd love to pack all those goodies along with me too.

OK, call me crazy, but do any of you people ever travel to dive, and pay the extra freight to carry these great save-a-dive kits? Don't get me wrong ... I've put together a pretty good box of spare goodies. But when you're traveling to places that charge you whatever sounds good for that day if you're over their ridiculously small baggage allowances (for a diver anyway), do you still carry that kit?

Every place we dive is somewhere else, and it's always multiple plane flights that include baggage allowances that are like 20 kilos/44 pounds. Are you all carrying 5-10 pounds of spares, or are you diving down the block???

Or to pose the question a little different than the OP, what items do you consider absolutely critical, and what are you willing to give up? And before I get flamed, believe me, I'd love to pack all those goodies along with me too.
I always fly to my dive site, so I carry a stripped-down save-a-dive kit. It does have pliers, allen wrenches, crescent wrench, o-rings, spare mouthpiece, etc., and it is still pretty heavy, but I use the tools routinely in setting up my camera rig. I have pared it down over the years by, for example, carrying only the allen wrenches I need, instead of the full set. I swapped the hard little pelican case for a soft (and light!) Dive-Rite mask bag. I ditched the spare mask strap in favor of a spare mask, and the spare fin strap in favor of spring straps. I no longer carry a spare regulator or spare low-pressure hose even. Ultimately my back-up for a regulator or bc problem is whatever I can rent.

It depends on the location and the dive operation your dealing with. As a minimum I would bring along the what I broke down into the basic category and then match the rest of whats on the list with diving conditions (i.e. will I need a drysuit, if not, why bring those items). Will I be able to dive doubles and do they have housings and batteries for scooters? Some dive operations have these kinds of accessories available and people will pay the price to dive with like minded people who will accommodate.

What it boils down to for me personally are 3 factors.
-Is my whole trip based around diving (if so I want to save my dives at the cost of bringing more spare parts)
-Can I ship any of my gear before hand (If so, I can be less restricted on the baggage limits)
-How remote is my diving and can I find parts when S hit the F (if I'm on a live-aboard and have spent 3k for myself, and another 3k on the wife, I'm bringing it).

Last month I returned from Turks and Caicos and had around 80-100 lbs of gear between the two of us. Cameras, Housings, Backplates, Wings, STA's, Multiple Regs, Exposure suits, SMB's, Spools, HID Canister Lights (3, 2 for video, 1 on a goodman), Laptop, bottom timers, and a save a dive kit. I was able to pack all this and didn't get dinged for any additional baggage fees.

??? Did I need everything I packed? Actually, yes. We had a hard time finding DIN tanks but I had an adapter in case. I had Allen wrenches to take out the plugs when they did find them. I had one reg that was leaking during a bubble check and was able to switch it out on the boat. I was able to take off the DS hose and plug it on the boat.

I enjoy my diving and diving with my equipment which I can trust. I'm willing to pay a little extra for that.

On vacation all I bring is an extra reg set up, computer, light, batteries, mask, SMB, and my small tool box/ save a dive box with all the little o-rings, plugs, and such.

Jim Breslin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom