Unconscious diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great postson this subject. This thread just got printed and I will continue to research these items with the references given.

Thanks to Dr. Paul for his valuable inputs! Welcome back to our home!

So glad to hear you survived what must have been a harrowing event! I'm sure that I speak for hundreds of quieter board members in conveying heartfelt best wishes for a full recovery. Welcome back. Your contributions are always insightful and much appreciated by all...including this latest thread.

Hi Dr. Paul Thomas,

Glad to hear from you. As always thank you for your insight. I hope you got to read a couple of threads started on this board after someone heard about your accident, to show you how many and how much your cyber friends care about you.

Sometimes on these boards we get into some very heated debates that cross the line of good taste into insults. But ultimately we have much more in common by the love we share for our sport and the desire to help others. And the regulars do become known acquaintances and friends, even if only cyber friends, the bond of friendship is still there.

Best wishes in whatever course you now take. Now that you have crossed from your second childhood into your second life.

No need to be cranky anymore, alright! :)

On the other thread that spoke to this topic, I posted Jacques-Yves Cousteau's description of his experiences with oxygen toxicity, and his subsequent convulsions at 45 feet in depth. In his descriptions, he stated that he dropped his weight belt and floated to the surface. This, he felt, saved his life not once, but twice. His convulsions using pure oxygen also led to his dismissal of oxygen, and pursuit of compressed air for a breathing apparatus that would eventually make him world famous.

I understand the discussion above about not immediately bringing a person in a convulsion to the surface. There are other conditions that warrent discussion here too. This includes an evaluation of whether a person can survive the convulsion underwater. It might be an easier decision if the mouthpiece is still in the diver's mouth.

As I write this, I have come to a different realization. We are still, 60+ years after the invention of the compressed air scuba, talking about whether a person can survive with his mouthpiece still in his mouth. One would think, after this long a period of time, that mouthpieces would be a bit out-of-date.

Why aren't we wearing full-face masks with communications? Why can't we talk to one-another underwater, and summon help? Why are we still alone, in a Silent World?

SeaRat

PS--I'm rather new to these threads, and have not until today read a post by Dr. Paul. But I'm surely thankful that his experience has turned out for the better. Dr. Paul, please do keep posting. You have the experiences to last a lifetime already, and we will all profit from your presence here.

John

John C. Ratliff once bubbled...

Why aren't we wearing full-face masks with communications? Why can't we talk to one-another underwater, and summon help? Why are we still alone, in a Silent World?

SeaRat

Hi John et al,

Thanks for the kind words.

$500 for the mask, $250 for the regulator and $400 each for the comunication equipment.

Having said that, some friends of mine regularly dive with full face mask and I had intended to graduate to using one myself. No confusion underwater if you can talk to you budby and to the surface team!

Like all items of equipment there are pros and cons. The major problem I see in OC is gas switches. I am sure it won't be long before most rebreather divers use FFM with comms equipment.

By the way, I remember no warning signs whatsoever (VENTID) so comms equipment would not have helped me, but if I had been using an FFM I would not have suffered near drowning.

You make a very good point.

Since the technology exists I think we are still alone in a silent world while diving because we prefer it that way. I own 2 FFM's with communications and don't care for diving in them. They just collect dust. I have thought about using them for O2 decompression but haven't done it. There are a number of equipment configuration problems with them especially for technical diving where O2 exposures are pushed the most. They are expensive but not when you compare it to what some spend to travel the world to go diving.

This MEANS YOU ARE GOING DIVING AGAIN! Tally Ho for you!

To all on these threads, let us back off a bit from Dr. Paul about his continuing to dive. From personal experience I can say that it takes time to make decisions such as resuming an activity after a very traumatic event. While I welcome Dr. Paul back to these threads for discussion, it's his and his decision alone about continuing diving. There is still much we don't know. Please, our joy is in his regaining his health. Let's relax a bit about the rest.

SeaRat

Dr Paul Thomas once bubbled...
I had intended to graduate to using one myself. No confusion underwater if you can talk to you buddy and to the surface team!
Hi Bill

Sadly, I had intended to graduate to using one myself had I not been "persuaded" that I ought not to dive again.

I do think it was oxtox that affected me.

Hello Paul:

I remember the first time you wrote me -- it was a question about oxygen physiology that I could not answer!

Oxygen seems to have gotten you into trouble [or so it appears] and oxygen also seems to have kept you from brain damage [or so it appears from your letters, written in your usual incisive fashion].

I join all others in congratulating you and welcoming you back to the living. Don't be too quick to give up diving if studies show that you have no intrinsic problem with seizure activity and your lungs show no air trapping. Of course, your wife may have a lot to say about that!!

In any event-- stay on the scuba board and continue to provide us with the unique combination of medical and diving knowledge that has characterized your posts in the past.

Best regards and good things!

Ernie Campbell
[scubadoc]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom