Understanding GUE diving method

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you just causing trouble? In an earlier thread, you claimed that E8's would never succeed in Canada, that there's no market for them, and that you would know because you've "been a tech diver for 26 years."

Puh-leeze. See for yourself

And secondly, Mr. Amoebus, GUE has never claimed to be for everyone. Obviously - you're one of those people who GUE is not destined for. You're more than welcome to wear a 100 lb dual bladder wing from OMS. Maybe while you're at it you can get some slobwinders. :rolleyes:

but there is considerable logic to their choice of a single bladder wing.

BC failures (total failure that is) are rather rare and are not directly life threatening. Use of the drysuit and/or a liftbag or a swimming ascent and liftbag for the wet suit diver are quite adequate to keep the diver alive.

The added complexity of the dual bladder wing is not needed and makes more danger than it saves.

Two bladders means double the items to fail and adds to the work to figure out what has gone wrong.

Keeping the gear as simple as possible with the needed redundancy is the goal.

The big argument against a dual bladder wing is the same as against independent doubles, you are adding complexity and task loading faster than you are adding safety.

Thanks Guys, your all giving me more brain blowing methods and questions to ask regarding bladders and ideas to consider. One question thou! would a diver not find it difficult to install his whip at depth while trying not to freak out in a critical life situation and what about sever panic regardless of experience. I find it hard enough on the surface to install my whip and trying it in dark cold water with gloves on seem like a vital time waster. I've never heard any diver ever talk about there inflator activating unless there finger was on it, or is this just an assumption.

Thanks

Amobeus

BOOGIE BOOGIE

Yes I have been diving for over 27 years , but I'm not yet Trimix trained. I'm searching for a good instructor and have many questions to ask, as I am from the old rule of diving and all this new stuff is jello to me. I may or may not have more experience under the water than all of you put togethor, but that doesn't mean I should not ask questions that concern me. if your Looking to insult or corner some one try you own family members.

Amobeus

amobeus once bubbled...
I've never heard any diver ever talk about there inflator activating unless there finger was on it, or is this just an assumption.

Thanks

Amobeus

a major failure of your first stage can send high pressure downstream into your low pressure hoses, overcoming the valve in your power inflator and dumping a bunch of gas into your wing.

amobeus once bubbled...
In the case of a bladder failure at depth for example 240' they would use there dry suits to aid them to the surface while blowing a bag,

Correct. Let me try to assist you. Don't confuse weight on surface with buoyancy. Remember in the water at the beginning of the dive, My doubles are 16lbs negative, the stage is 9lbs negative, and the deco bottle is about 6 lbs negative, add the small amount of extras and total negative is about 30 to 35 lbs negative. The dry suit with underwear is about 20 to 28 lbs positive. What you have left over is 5 to 10 lbs negative at the start of the dive. Not as much weight as you would think. As the dive progresses you should start to swing closer to neutral at the surface. At depth all you need to do is add just enough air into your suit to make you around five pounds negative. Easy enough to swim up if needed. By shooting a bag you can remain slightly negative and pull yourself towards the surface.

If you are too negative after deploying a bag you can clip off the stage to the line and continue up the line. Or you can use the reel to wind yourself up.

Using a dry suit to get to the surface is the most unsafe method I have heard of and even if it was part of a training program I'd never attempt it. What happens if your suit burps or you swing, I can't see how this can be a safe method to use or teach while hanging at a deco stop with stage bottles and with all that weight wouldn't you be up to your waist in mud and --- out of luck.

Actually being neutral is being neutral it does not matter what you use for a buoyancy control device as long as you control it. by ascending very slowly you would be able to vent as needed. In fact while ascending from a decompression dive, stops every five to ten feet are common place which makes it very easy to control the suit. Remember that at the deco stops the gear is not heavy in fact towards the end they try to bring you up because they actually become more positively buoyant.

A back up bladder just seems to be the more logical method for me, isn't teck diving training mainly learning how to isolate and get back to the surface safely and alive.I haven't taken any teck courses yet but I figure this is the best place to get all my concerns and questions answered. I would like to hear from any one who may be able to help me understand some methods over other. I hope I'm not pissing any one. Amobeus

If you are not aware of the buoyancy of the gear in the water you are correct in the belief that a back up bladder should be required. If the tanks are correctly matched and balanced it really is not necessary because they really don't weigh that much in the water. By choosing the correct tanks for the dive you won't have the extra cost of a redundant bladder that you really shouldn't need even if the bladder completely failed.

I will leave with this to consider... if you rip your bladder or have a dump valve fail would it hold any air in a different position and still give lift?

No I'm not GUE trained, I hope this helps.

Hallmac

amobeus once bubbled...
would a diver not find it difficult to install his whip at depth
are we talking the extra inflator whip for the extra bladder or the drysuit whip?

As far as the extra bladder inflating by itself.. I've had that happen several times as the inflator valve ended up leaking air into my wing. With a single bladder it is easy to recognise which one is the culprit. :wink:

Hi Scott

Thanks for the information. I think if we really sit back and calculate all the many possibilities and malfunctions that could occur with diving gear it would seem radical to want to dive deep. I think your explanation of the first stage blowing out and sending a Hp flow of gas down into your BC, is I guess possible, and would definitely lead to an unsafe rate of ascent if not dealt with quickly, this is why I'm looking for further training.

Amobeus

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

are we talking the extra inflater whip for the extra bladder or the drysuit whip?

As far as the extra bladder inflating by itself.. I've had that happen several times as the inflater valve ended up leaking air into my wing. With a single bladder it is easy to recognise which one is the culprit. :wink:

Hey UP did you have both inflators active at one time? or did you switch bc hose for primary and redundant?

Hall

amobeus once bubbled...
I think if we really sit back and calculate all the many possibilities and malfunctions that could occur with diving gear it would seem radical to want to dive deep. Amobeus

Or we would have all the problems worked out and solved before they happened and it would be a fun and enjoyable experience!

Hall

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom