Underwater action cams?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In diving area GoPro has good advertising and I don't see somehing more. You can call quality "good" only on first 30 ft or with additional light.
I had 3 Black edition, sold it and very happy with HDR-AS100V.
Regarding --GoPro is the only brand that does 1080p @ 60fps-- : Sony supports 1920×1080 with 60/50p.
For GoPro you need to put different filters, Sony just has better white balance and I never use filters any more.
Focusing and video stabilization works in HDR-AS100V also nice.
For Sony with dive box and dive flat door (MUST for diving) you can find nice deals about 70% from GoPro price.

Avoid Intova. Generally make atrocious quality gear and their action cam is no exception - awful quality, over the top compression etc.

If GoPro ever introduce a manual white balance it'll be a game changer.

Thanks all its looking like a go pro and maybe a filter kit or a lamp to go with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Local diving in your area? Which I assume from video I've seen is pretty green with poor visiblity.

A green water filter (they're more orange in color) and a light or two would be a very good idea.

Due to the extreme wide angle of the lens - 170o - two lights are better. With just one mounted on/near the camera you'll see a black circle around the subject - especially at night - since the camera sees 60o wider than the best lights. Many of the GoPro specific video lights are in the 110o range so two overlapping is optimal. Mounted on some sort of flex arms will also give better results - you get backscatter shooting video also when the plane of the lens is the same as the light source.

The more expensive GoPro models also have the best low-light performance. Depending on where she's using it you may only need a filter. In the Red Sea you'd only need lights on cloudy days or for deeper dives. There you'd want a blue-water filter also most likely. At least it appears that way to me.

This was just posted also - Better housing, apparently includes the LCD and it has a Zoom...299 Euros.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/497104-introducing-new-pnj-cam-aee-s71.html

Hero 4 black shot 4k then down convert.

This is 1 of the better videos I found explaining settings ect. Now the houseing they sell is 1,200... but its nice and it has a lipo to keep the camera charged up
[video=youtube_share;NlTm_B1ulrk]http://youtu.be/NlTm_B1ulrk[/video]

You also have the Kodak Sp360 aqua or extreme version (more mounts) that you can dive with and get 360 degree video.

Its cheaper then a gopro but you have to edit everything it's not the best if you want to use it then upload but on your pc or tablet it works great.
[video=youtube_share;1Oo1P-EPs6w]http://youtu.be/1Oo1P-EPs6w[/video]

Back
Top Bottom