UnderWater Arch Course @ Aquarena Springs - Oct 10-11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVX

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just wanted to let everyone know that I will be teaching another underwater archaeology course at Aquarena Springs on Oct 10-11th. If you are interested, please contact Aquarena to sign-up. You can also check out there website.

If you are interested in what the course teaches, check here. Besides the fundamentals, the course will also go over the history of the area.

Please let me know if you need further information.

thanks

I forgot to mention, this course will also get you a SSI specialty card for underwater archaeology.

Layne Hedrick
HOME

Last edited:
Sounds like a blast! two of my favorite things rolled into one!

How strict is the AOW requirement? I've been a diver since '81, but still only have my OW, Long story, anyway does experience count for anything?

Also do you get some sort of certificate out of the class that might give you credentials to work or volunteer on an underwater dig?

just in case it doesn't work out for this class, how often is it offered?

Sounds like a blast! two of my favorite things rolled into one!

...how often is it offered?

My wife & I would love to do this but we aren't doing our AOW until the end of October and with her work schedule she would need about 3 months notice to schedule the days off. So how often is this offered?

I offer the class when there is enough interest. I have been out of the country alot this summer so I could not offer it more. I might be able to add another course later this year if there is enough students. I need 5 to make a class.

As far as the AOW requirements. that is not a requirement to take my class, just a requirement to take the science diver course which is a requirement to take my class. So, if you have not take the science diver course at Aquarena Springs, you would have to before signing up for my underwater archaeology class.

You do get a certification card from SSI once you complete the course. Unfortunately, it does not currently guarantee you any further work. It just prove you have had some training in the area. I am working to get a more thorough accreditation but is taking some time.

Layne

Layne--

Is the arch site at Aquarena currently being studied? It seems like the university could provide a steady stream of man(woman) power to carry out Dr. Shiner's initial work.

And after taking this class, can we then volunteer to do arch work at the site?

That was the idea and still is for the most part. They are having a hard time getting anykind of program going but I have been pushing hard and will continue to do so. If those interested could also push, I think a joint voice would go further than my single voice...

Layne

what are the times for the weekend classes?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom