Underwater Camera Set Recommendations - RAW Possibilities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made it myself.
I like the message. Is the chart based on data from somewhere, or is it maybe your own qualitative sense of the relative contributions?

I like the message. Is the chart based on data from somewhere, or is it maybe your own qualitative sense of the relative contributions?

Hah! Totally made up to reflect my own personal opinions, but would be pretty hard to get quantitative data about percentage contribution to photo quality, huh? I throw that graphic out whenever one of these discussions come up.

I do apologize to the OP if this came off as being snarky - if you really like working with RAW files, then get a camera that does that. I just want to make the point that new UW photographers focus on stuff that doesn't make much of a difference long before they master the stuff that does. And if the OP admits that with 30 dives they don't have buoyancy mastered, then maybe task loading with a complex camera isn't such a great idea anyway - but that's another discussion!

Yes, a pro can get some benefit from tweaking RAW files, but I shoot a lot and I just use JPEGS. I'm no David Doubilet, but I lecture about UW photography frequently, I have sold photos, I gave a photo talk at Beneath the Sea, etc... I have tried RAW, and I never felt that I got enough benefit to justify the workflow overhead. I do a lot of post processing, shooting in a variety of conditions, and I'm amazed at how much you can fix a JPEG if you learn good post-processing technique.

It's just my opinion that a diver shouldn't worry about RAW until they have learned buoyancy, composition and lighting. Get those right, and your photos will be awesome. RAW can't fix the work of a photographer who doesn't have those three things mastered.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
View media item 78228
Canon SL1 in Ikelite housing falls within your budget with one strobe. I bought my strobes used and saved about $400 over new and they work just fine. Ikelite DS51's. Here's a photo I took a few weeks ago. This was in jpeg but I can shoot RAW as well. It lets me do both and saves both files. That's with the 18-55 kit lens. I have a 60mm macro and the port for it but haven't had the chance to play with it yet.
.View attachment 377683
Ikelite has package of Canon sl 1 for $1,700. Good value for what you get in a DSLR housing , lens package, dome port.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Possible to shoot close to macro to CFWA (close focus wide angel) with included kit lens and get good results. Add a ikelite strobe or two for TTL compatibility and you are all set.

If I were to buy a compact camera today, I'd buy the Canon G16 with the following housing:

Nauticam Canon G16 Underwater Housing

I research all compacts that have housings, I'd get the g16. At first I was looking at the Oly TG4 but it doesn't have full manual mode, this Canon has it all and all specs are best in class.

I made it myself.

It's very good DocMike! Would you mind if I borrow it to use in workshops? (With full credit of course!)

If I were buying new, I would buy a Sony DSC-RX100 Mk II and a Meikon housing for it. That would set you back $700 - 900 for both, together. Then spend the rest on a strobe or two and necessary accessories.

I just went through this decision process. I would have bought exactly what I said but I found a good deal on a slightly nicer, used camera for less money than a new RX100 Mk II. I still got the Meikon housing, though.

If I were to buy a compact camera today, I'd buy the Canon G16 with the following housing:

Nauticam Canon G16 Underwater Housing

Why spend $1000+ on a Nauticam housing for that camera when you can get a Meikon for $200 - 250? The camera is not even an interchangeable lens camera.

I think the G16 is a good alternative to an RX100 (Mk II or Mk IV). But, I can't see spending that much for a housing when a $200 option is available that works.

Point and shoot like a G16 or RX100 is versatile and small. If you want to go bigger with your budget and want more shooting choices, look for one of the Oly OMD EM-5 leftover deals because it takes great pictures and $1300 is stealing it-use the rest on a Sea & Sea YSD-2 or an Inon Z-240. Alternative for a really nice camera cheap-Sony A6300 with a Meikon housing and wide angle wet lens. Also about $2K, but you'll have to skimp on the strobe and go for a YS-01/02 type. You can upgrade the housing to a Nauticam or Sea & Sea later, adding the same figure for housing and ports, and then add on good lenses like the Sony 90mm macro. By then, you'll be into it about $6K. Should be able to get at least half your money back on the used Meikon and dome. If you want to stay on the cheap and small, stick with the compact camera, nice housing, one GOOD strobe and a wet wide and wet macro lens. Look for used sets from someone moving up to the $10K crazy stuff that takes up ALL of your carry on plus half of your wife's.

If you want to take photos, better than good buoyancy skills are critical. Photo composition can be a make or break situation with just a couple of inches. You will see soon enough when you line up shots.

Also, RAW is really nice to have. It allows you to set white balance in post production.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom