Underwater Navigation Device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was on display at DEMA in Orlando last week:
Navimate - GPS for Divers

The idea is that the Navimate would have GPS antenna on the boat which would cable to a transmitter in the water. The wristmounted unit would allow the dover to mark his or her position between one half mile and one mile from the ship.

It is apparently still in development but the inventor was at DEMA saying it would be available early next year. Of course, we have seen vaporware at DEMA before so if you have some other ideas, by all means, I would be interested.

Incidentally, the Navimate will reportedly sell for about $700.

Jeff

It uses a multi beam rf to determine range and bearing from the buoy, to accurately show the position of each wrist unit.

RF signals do not travel that well underwater and GPS signal (at ~1.5Ghz) gets attenuated by ~40^4dBm when traveling underwater (translation .. it goes only few meters ..at best), that is way they put the GPS on the buoy at the surface and then communicate with the handheld units via acoustic signals.

There is a LOT of research going on worldwide regarding underwater broadband acoustic communication ... so far I could not find any paper authored by them ...

I rather prefer to continue on the Inertial Navigation path.

AM

.... an example of some of my previous mapping...
Hi Guy, how goods are your maps?
I will be interested in adding them to our scuba diving simulator ..... we need very good resolution (our other maps have 50cm horizontal resolution and <1cm on the vertical)

Alberto

Hi Guy, how goods are your maps?
I will be interested in adding them to our scuba diving simulator ..... we need very good resolution (our other maps have 50cm horizontal resolution and <1cm on the vertical)

Alberto

They're not in your league, although the original side-scan bathymetry might be; that's available on the CSU Monterey Bay Sea Floor Mapping Lab's website. But all we did was take that data and include GPS waypoints of underwater features on them. Since GPS only gave us accuracy of +-3m or so, we checked bearings and distances between waypoints using tautlines, an orienteering compass and a surveyor's tape, rounding to the nearest 1' (because that's what most US divers are comfortable with, even though I was using UTM metric coordinates for the waypoints). We took 3 bearings per leg and averaged the results to the nearest degree. When necessary to conform more closely to ground truth, we altered the GPS coordinates of some of the waypoints a meter or two to give a best fit.

Guy

Frpom what i have read it is a neet thing they have. Dont know how it works however picture this..... Drop a transponder from a known location. Enter in the divers unit the lat and lon. The pinger pings on a regular (very stable)cycle. Youlink the divers unit to the pinger to sync the timing. Fromthis point the divers knows when the pinger pinged and when i recieved the ping. You got range. Signal strength gives didrection or a myulti headed hydrophone to phase and get direction. Now you have direction and range from a known lat/lon. Seeing your dubies is a whole other thing. Ofcourse a multi head on the wrist can beamform on ly high freq and that limits range from source. If multi pingers were used then you can have gps style of processing/loran type of processsing.

What are your feelings about an underwater navigational device?

Great 5/5 (5=excellent, 1=I don't care)

What do you find most difficult about underwater navigation?

Low vis situations. For the purposes of my definition, let's say that 30 feet is adequate vis, less than 30 is low, and 5 feet sucks.

How long have you been diving, and how has your answer to the last question changed as you&#8217;ve become more experienced?

Two years. As I have progressed in training, low (or zero) vis bothers me less and less. Nevertheless, low vis navigation (typically with a compass) is an issue that we are trained to cope with, but a GPS-like device would certainly help.

When looking for a specific feature at a dive site (cave, wreck, etc&#8230:wink: how often do you have difficulty find it? If you&#8217;ve had difficulties with this, would your rather have a map to look at, or a simple arrow telling you the distance, direction, and depth to the feature?

Most of the sites I dive have buoys and descent lines. Not an issue.

Have you ever used any devices (other than a compass) for underwater navigation, and if so, what were your experiences with them?

Compass only. Works well, and power consumption is minimal :) . Tough to use where vis is less than 10 feet, though.

How often have you been separated from your dive partner? Of those times, how many times have you easily found them, and how many took longer than you would have liked?

Yes. Less than 25% (low vis). Took longer than I would have liked (including meeting at the surface) = 100-25=75%.

What would be your biggest reason for purchasing a navigation device (safety, better dives, comfort, etc&#8230:wink:?

Safety (keeping up with dive buddy AND having the dive boat know where I am).

Do you use a dive computer? If so, what type do you use, how much did it cost, and what made you purchase your particular model?

Yes. Sherwood Wisdom 2 and Sherwood Insight (at the same time). About $600 and $400. Reason for purchase - pricepoint and air-integrated computer (Wisdom 2) and large display (low vis).

How often do you replace your computer, and what will you be looking for in your next one that your current model lacks?

Compatibility with existing computer(s), i.e., same NDL algorithm, large display (for low vis), possibly mask-integrated heads-up (low vis).

If your next purchase of computer had an option for a practical navigational aid, how strongly would you consider the following features? Please rate from 1= Unnecessary to 5=Important, and add any comments you feel are necessary.

Distance and direction to boat (or dive starting location):

My being aware of distance to boat = 1. Boat being aware of distance to me if sh!+ happens, especially in high waves = 5.

Distance and direction to dive partner (or other divers):

4 (or 5). I guess that this means that we BOTH have to purchase the same unit, which might be a deterrent (in the sense that, if the exact same unit must be purchased by both divers, you are really restricting you clientele), esp. for divers who travel a lot without their significant others.

Waypoints for dive features (caves, wrecks, etc&#8230:wink::

Actual map of dive site:

A recorded path of your dive (including air usage and swim speed):

1 (but if you can do this at little additional cost to you, I am sure that lots of people would love it).

Some facts about you:
Geographic location (state or country):
Do you prefer boat dives or beach dives:
Favorite dive spot:

My comment - If you can come up something which has the functionality of a computer (ca. $500) and a GPS (ca. $300) and a global rescue beacon (ca. $400) that alerts most/all maritime rescue systems, and you can package all three "in one" for about $800, and if you can ensure that your competitors (who will quickly follow suit) will use a compatible frequency range so that my dive buddy can use the Oceanic version while I use the Suunto version AND we can both see each other underwater on you "GPS," then, my friend, I will be buying two. :)

Scubasteve66 - if you put more info onto your profile you might have fewer people informing you that "GPS signals are on has very poor penetration into water." Granted, you did state "I’m working at USC as a researcher in the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering department" but really, how often do people read the original post? :)

Scubasteve66 - if you put more info onto your profile you might have fewer people informing you that "GPS signals are on has very poor penetration into water." Granted, you did state "I’m working at USC as a researcher in the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering department" but really, how often do people read the original post? :)
He has not been on since 14 November.

I suspect he is gone.

It's been working for years, just ask the military. The problem is having to tow along a float everywhere you go.

Guy

NOAA divers use (used) the same thing. There are very precise alternatives (talking centi-meter accuracy); however, the price is obviously higher.

Dont know how it works...etc

One potential problem with using GPS and underwater acoustics is clock drift. Unless you have an extremely accurate clock in the units and are synced together you will get clock drift. Actually even with an extremely accurate clock you are still going to get drift. The only way to combat that is to send a sync pulse from the transmitters to the receivers. They very well may have already resolved this issue, too.

And here's some competition, not for the GPS capability (although I imagine it could be added) easily enough), but for homing, comms, built-in computer and compass etc. I'd think the text message capability would be very useful, especially for tech divers who don't want to use a full face mask. Seems like dive boats would find it very useful too, sending out recalls and keeping track of the herd.

utc - The Product - Communication

Guy

My 2c: It does a lot of stuff and it's priced well. However, you have to keep in mind that you are asking one device to do many things for you. If one thing breaks while underwater...they all break.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom