Underwater Tripod Ultralight system for Panasonic LX7 with parts list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike
Have you checked the buoyancy of the set up? My parts are coming next Tuesday I am thinking of 6 STIX jumbo 4 on the tripod legs and one on each lights
As I use locline and not metal arms (Handles TR-DH and short extention TR-DUP) I am slightly concern this may tilt in water
Nice, buoyancy can be an issue. I used 6 or 8 oz egg sinkers as "feet" and the 3/4 loc-line can be stuffed with smaller fishing weights if needed. Also, the SRP tray can accommodate just about any case, I used a GoPro in the video but see pic for larger case. The video was also an experiment using chroma key, funny it removed the background color that was reflected in the lead feet.

No reason you couldn't adapt loc-line where you have the ball arms.

[video=youtube_share;2343mRqR-3o]http://youtu.be/2343mRqR-3o[/video]

Attachments

• DSCN1369.jpg
    DSCN1369.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCN1376.jpg
    DSCN1376.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 122
The SRP tray is a bulky piece of kit where supposed good intentions ended up in some weird design ideas I would not expected that to be well balance with a set of locline as base
The locline arms I use are for the lights and I want to keep it that way each sola is just more than 100 grams peer t for 1/2" locline
I would never use locline as feet of a tripod that's asking for problems

The SRP tray is a bulky piece of kit where supposed good intentions ended up in some weird design ideas I would not expected that to be well balance with a set of locline as base
The locline arms I use are for the lights and I want to keep it that way each sola is just more than 100 grams peer t for 1/2" locline
I would never use locline as feet of a tripod that's asking for problems

I feel your pain, that's why I went to 3/4 instead of 1/2" If you don't use the handles, it is not so bulky but 1/2" with lights and heavy Ikelite case was floppy. If Loc-Line doesn't work, I'll be looking at ball arms for sure. :)

The 1/2" with Ikelite case (Nikon S8100) and goPro did work for this:
[video=vimeo;59373658]http://vimeo.com/59373658[/video]

and later, same dive, I just picked it up legs and all, carried it around and took this:

[video=youtube_share;1GnqYKAaV3c]http://youtu.be/1GnqYKAaV3c[/video]

OK maybe I have not made myself clear. I have the ball arms already and there is no problem using them all is fine. Is just for the lights that I like locline and that just because it suits better the sola. I would not use locline for support 1/2 or 3/4 or anything I just would not.
I also have 3/4 locline and they crack the 1/2 mount of the sola as they are too stiff. 3/4 maybe be better for YS mounted strobe
So all is good no plan for changing anything and I have already ball arms for photo. I would never use locline for photo they are not precise enough, they are good for diffused flood though fir video

---------- Post added May 6th, 2013 at 07:52 AM ----------

Mike. I am pretty sure this tripod is around 800 grams if you weight camera and housing, tray and legs just with two handles. You will need to add arms and lights to it. Depending what lights you use you are looking at around 17 Oz per arm/light based on ULCS 5" two segments and 1 Sola.
So the total will be around 1.8 Kg or 4 lbs. I think you definitely need floats on the video arms if you use ULCS arms. If you use locline you are looking at 1 Kg negative.
My bits are here tomorrow and I will test in the bathtub in the next days

Interceptor, have you considered the ULCS tripod clamp ?

ulcs.ac.tri.8.jpg

If you already have 2 arms, you only need one more arm. It might be lighter than the other solution since it uses one larger clamp, no joints vs 3 smaller clamps and 3 ball joints.

I also think the ULCS tripod clamp and legs will setup quicker and have the option of acting like a monopd if you bring the legs together.

My suggestion before about carrying additional weight for tripod use meant get your whole system with tripod close to neutral for non tripod shooting. Then when using the tripod place 3 lbs on top of the housing to weight the system down. Another option is removing the tripod when not using it. Could be a pain to carry around when diving, but may not be too bad. Maybe secured horizontal across the chest or stomach. Single thread into the tray should make setup fairly quick.

Last edited:
Ron I have actually been thinking exactly that. In effect it may be easier to take the tripod with me on a dive and set it on and off.
The arms are short at 5" so it could fit in a BCD pocket or similar and as such I don't need to adjust buoyancy by occasion. But will 5" arm segments long enough for balancing on a single point??
Another concern I have by not having a tripod head is that it could be fiddly to adjust in the right position

So maybe the right configuration for me is the tripod clamp and 3 8" arms. I do have one already so I only need two arms and a clamp the cost is pretty much the same and is more portable

I am thinking of making the rig slightly negative and with 3 arms segment and one tripod clamp the buoyancy total will be between 1/2 lbs and 1.2 lbs so I only need a two pounds weight to make it solid heavy

If you are resting the tripod on a sandy bottom, I would not be too concerned about a tripod head. The clamp allowing the legs to angle and soft sand will help getting the right positions. Unless you pan UW or dive areas with rocky bottoms, a tripod head is really not necessary.

Ron yes I meant the tripod clamp no pan and tilt
And the buoyancy calculation were wrong if I leave my tray as is the weight would be between -1.2 and -1.9 in water with the tripod depending on which lenses I have on
The heavy Inon wide and macro are 1.2 lbs negative!!!
I may get away without extra weight and with 8" arms this is also a good monopod

Not sure about photography, but for video, I really cannot think of too many times I wanted both wide and macro on the same dive. Could be because I am not really into wrecks and much of my diving has been in the Caribbean.

It depends of course. The issue is that once you have a wide angle lens you can't zoom so as a minimum you remove it in close ups. And if the small critters are smaller than one inch you need a close up lens too
I think using the two lens is mostly effort. For example you may want to put a close up lens on and zoom into an eye of a fish or similar even if you don't have small fish around you
I find it very convenient and one of the benefits of a compact camera set up

Ok additional issue the tripod screw on the TR-DM is off centre once you attach the TR-DUP
Also mike part list is incorrect
You need two 3816-2S 3816 with stud not female (just found out as I got the parts today)
The kit can also be used with the TR-DH handles using 3 1420-2B

I think I will go with a modified version of mike idea as the tripod off centre puts me off

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom