Underwear Ripoff...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
I got the TPS Thinsulate Extreme (non-stretch) because it was warm. It seems to me to be most suited for waters in the mid 30s to the high 50s.. the Stretch Extreme is probably more like 40s - 60s.

i got the stretch becuuse it fit so well, and because my drysuit (still love saying that :D) is compressed neoprene on the bottom and pretty snug, so i wanted something that wasn't baggy..

mossym:
i got the stretch becuuse it fit so well, and because my drysuit (still love saying that :D) is compressed neoprene on the bottom and pretty snug, so i wanted something that wasn't baggy..

I'm diving my Medium 450 - and it actually, you know, FITS. I'm still jamming my DUI Large Ginchwear (350 - really 150 X 2 Polartec) into the thing. I keep reading about the DC extremen stretch, and I've been balking because of the price.

But I'm not loving the droopy drawers and wrinkled up legs (short inseam)thing going on with my DUI. I think its time for ME to eBay the play station and step up to some lower profile, properly fitting undies...

dang you people.

---
Ken

the stretch are so nice for that, luckily i fit in a stock size perfectly...nice thing when it ftis so well is that it is so easier to slide into the drysuit...

i 110% recommend the DC stuff...come on Ken, you know you want to..:D

jonnythan:
<snip>
... then $50-$100 a piece for a top and bottom quality 200 or 300 weight fleece layer.. and fleece is a crappy insulation for diving.

I am curious as to what makes the fleece a poor choice. Isn't some of the dry suit OEM stuff Polartec (which is fleece)? I understand that dept. store fleece may not fit well and bunch up, etc. Is that the basis or is it the material itself?

Just wondering. No drysuit now, but certainly wanting to move into one.

Jim

scububa:
I am curious as to what makes the fleece a poor choice. Isn't some of the dry suit OEM stuff Polartec (which is fleece)? I understand that dept. store fleece may not fit well and bunch up, etc. Is that the basis or is it the material itself?

Just wondering. No drysuit now, but certainly wanting to move into one.

Jim

Fleece is Old Navy, Mogan Fairchild, some fleabitten dog crapola. Fleece pills, batts up and is not the same as Polartec. It does have the compensating virtue of coming in Orange and Lime Green (thank you very little Old Navy...) :11:

Polartec is the real deal and makes a fine open water insulator. If it gets wet, you get cold. Not an option if you have a ceiling. I only dive OW, have been diving polartec for years (47 my coldest up to mid-60's) and never had a problem staying warm. You can get DS undies or a Polartec ski suit, or use Northface / Patagonia / Cabellas polartec components, or go to a surplus and get polartec. Did I miss anyone? :wink: I dive the DUI, I have friends who dive the others without issue.

My deal is I'd like something closer fitting and want the slickness of a Thinsulate suit. Tried one on - loved it. I want the stretch version. DC is the one people I truse recommend. I've been resisting, but may roll soon.

Of course, buying Thinsulate in the summer is silly. I can dive 150 polartech around here and likely be fine... So it may have to wait awhile. I finally fit OTR so I need to get to a DC dealer and try one on.

And you Moss can just shush up. :10:

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
If it gets wet, you get cold. Not an option if you have a ceiling.

47 my coldest up to mid-60's
There you go. Fleece is fine if you don't mind getting hypothermic when your suit floods and you never dive water less than 50 degrees (high 50s if you're in there for a good long while without working very hard, or you're a skinny butt like me and get cold easily when not working hard).

Bottom line is that fleece is just not a decent insulator for diving. It's not warm enough.

huh huh.... he said bottom...

Oh, and ANOTHER thing..

"Department store" fleece isn't good for anything at all. When I say "fleece" I mean Malden Mills/Polartech Classic 200 or 300.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom