Undone Tank Band

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This happened to me last weekend. I just found a nice sandy patch, slipped off my bcd and put my arms through the holes from the inside. I circled my legs around the bottom of the tank and fixed the strap. Was not really that difficult. Might be a problem if you don't lock your legs around the bottom of the tank coz your feet will swing up.

I use a black diamond.

partridge:
This happened to me last weekend. I just found a nice sandy patch, slipped off my bcd and put my arms through the holes from the inside. I circled my legs around the bottom of the tank and fixed the strap. Was not really that difficult. Might be a problem if you don't lock your legs around the bottom of the tank coz your feet will swing up.

I use a black diamond.

Yup
This is a good manuever.

For doffing and donning gear underwater, the integrated BC can be problematic if you are wearing a lot of exposure protection. You have to keep a hold of your kit, or something on the bottom.

However, I have seen people wearing weight belts forget to deflate theri BC, and when they take it off, it tries to rocket to the surface.

So both weight locations have potential problems.

This is one of the things that makes the underwater gear swap for PADI DM so interesting...

JAG

I always check the tank straps while gearing up. Cinch down, uncinch & try to pull a little more strap through the cam buckle, cinch down, uncinch, pull tank band again, & recinch. Repeat with bottom strap. uncinch top strap again, pull on strap, & recinch. Then I pick up my BC by the harness, & with my hand under the tank valve ready to catch it, I shake the holy crap out of the whole thing. I haven't had a loose tank since I started doing this. I have fixed one at 60' deep on someone who was "too experienced to need a buddy check", though.

To remove and replace a weight integrated BCD try hovering horizontally, undo your chest and stomach straps, loosen your shoulder straps, undo your cumberbund, and rollout under your BCD. Having the tank and the BCD on top of you will overcome your bodies buoyancy (with or without a wetsuit). Make your adjustments and then roll yourself back (face down), slip back into the BCD and reattach your straps, etc.

I first teach the standard pool technique of BCD removal to my students, then when they get better with their buoyancy and hovering (including the horizontal hover) I teach them the roll-out maneuver. They really feel better and more confident about their skills when they can do the removal and replacement while hovering.

i like your maneuver alot frogman i will have to try it.

I had a problem with my tank slipping and had to take my intergrated BC off, I found very fast that when doing this with a 7mm wetsuit on that you should do one of thes two fun positions (straight from the Karmasutra)

1. Assume the sitting position and set the BC in your lap (if not on the bottom you may want to buckle around your leg)

2. Face to Face (kind of like when putting your coat on backwards when you were a child)

I have used both of these during my first sets of UW problem solving.

Hope this helps.

jagfish:
However, I have seen people wearing weight belts forget to deflate theri BC, and when they take it off, it tries to rocket to the surface.
JAG

Dont deflate!!!!!

If you are neutral wearing your kit then you will still be neutral with it off, provided you are still attached to it, and seeing as how it still contains your Gas supply that seems a good idea :10: .

If integrated weights then the difference in bouyancy between you and your kit is going to be, what 5kg , 10kg. thats not much to hold on really. I just did it last weekend with Twins, no weight on me at all. ease out of shoulder straps (like Frogman said using your natural buoyancy to pin you under the tanks), then swing the BCD / Tank (s) round in front of you, then reverse back into it

Albion:
Dont deflate!!!!!

If you are neutral wearing your kit then you will still be neutral with it off, provided you are still attached to it, and seeing as how it still contains your Gas supply that seems a good idea :10: .

If integrated weights then the difference in bouyancy between you and your kit is going to be, what 5kg , 10kg. thats not much to hold on really. I just did it last weekend with Twins, no weight on me at all. ease out of shoulder straps (like Frogman said using your natural buoyancy to pin you under the tanks), then swing the BCD / Tank (s) round in front of you, then reverse back into it

Yeah
Sorry for the lack of precision. I meant people with non-integrated BC and weight belt. When they took off the BC, it wanted to go north...

JAG

I've tried to put other people's tanks back in place before and found it very difficult in mid water . . .I can't seem to do this unless I get them on the ground or against a wall for leverage/resistance.

FWIW - I wasn't too keen on standard weight-belts (used to end up with bruised back) - and my BC won't take integrated. I found a solution in the Bright weight system and, although I look like a suicide bomber, the ability to shift 0.5kg weights all over my body has really helped with stream-lining.

JM2p

Back
Top Bottom