Unexpected big wave while shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So here's the scenario. I am shore diving and coming back into shore. The waves are quite small. I have taken off my fins and am walking in sideways. The oncoming wave is way bigger than the previous ones and I think I'm likely to get knocked down. Unfortunately running to shore is not an option. What should I have done?

If you are curious, the wave knocked me down. I had my regulator in my mouth, but I got tumbled around some and twisted my knee pretty badly. I didn't break anything, but I had to use crutches for a week and use a brace for a couple more weeks.

Probably dive into the wave and ride it. Better to be floating than coupled to the ground at that point

If you had time, crouch and face into the wave, pushing forward and up as it crashes overhead.

That generally allows you to stay somewhat vertical and avoid being washed.

If you were surprised, then it's about how to manage yourself while getting washed. Sounds like you did fine except maybe you were too stiff.

I might have tried getting down myself like into a crawl position, if it seemed better than maybe getting knocked town.

So here's the scenario. I am shore diving and coming back into shore. The waves are quite small. I have taken off my fins and am walking in sideways. The oncoming wave is way bigger than the previous ones and I think I'm likely to get knocked down. Unfortunately running to shore is not an option. What should I have done?

Smart move keeping the reg in. Depending on the size of the wave, I’d either really lean into it as it hit or duck dive straight into the face. Probably not a bad idea to hold a hand on your mask similar to a giant stride too.

Seems like a lot of divers aren’t familiar with duck diving, but it’s a good trick to know. Glad you didn’t get hurt too badly.

Lance

Reactions: Doc
As others have noted, keep your reg in your mouth is key. For the scenario presented by the OP, if I think the wave has the potential to knock me over I am diving back in.

It is best to watch the surf for a good 10 minutes before entry, so you can see any periodicity in the arrival of large sets. Wait for the big waves to come in and then go out. when exiting, it is best to wait outside the surf zone and wait for the big sets to come by and then head in ASAP. best to try to avoid the large waves.

I keep a variety of sporting splints and wraps and things to enable me to keep diving
have fine wrists and if injured use these things take the lumpy plastic palm guard out

Of course a good strong wetsuit also

Sideways hey, may have to have a word to whomever invented that idea, that's for crabs not humans

My fins are always strapped to my chest until absolutely utterly required

Mask on face reg in place fins clipped to chest or you'll find out the rest

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom