Unexpected big wave while shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are "they" still teaching that fins on feet shuffling backwards into surf arm in arm with you buddy stuff

99 MadMagazine-106-031 (1)5 (2).jpg

Not that there's too much wrong with that except everything

Always amazes me how waves are just fun when bathing/swimming, but once you have a mask and amazing amount of gas supplied available on your back, suddenly they are dangerous🫣🤔

Always amazes me how waves are just fun when bathing/swimming, but once you have a mask and amazing amount of gas supplied available on your back, suddenly they are dangerous🫣🤔
Well the mask and air are handy. But you are less agile while wearing dive gear, and falling/getting up wearing heavy gear has potential to hurt more and be more challenging.

As was said before it's best to face the ocean and walk backwards. Minimum air in BC. Once you see a big wave you have to decide if to turn sideways like you did or dive into the wave. I'm not that strong, so when I get knocked down I crawl out on my fours.

All of this is good info......but the best advice in this thread is to keep your "F'N" reg in your "cake-hole". It's amazing how much better life is when you can breath!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom