United to Begin Charging Extra for Second Bag!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ice9

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Nice... Might not want to fly United this summer:

United Airlines to Begin Charging Customers to Check Second Bag

CHICAGO -- United Airlines will begin charging passengers $25 to check in a second piece of luggage for domestic travel if they are not part of its most-frequent-flier programs, the airline said Monday.

The charge will generate more than $100 million in revenue and cost savings each year, UAL Corp. (UAUA: 38.58, -2.56, -6.22%) said. The change takes effect May 5 and applies to tickets purchased on or after Monday.

Travelers would have to log at least 25,000 miles in a year on United to ensure they can check their second bag for free.

Airlines want to charge more for not only checked baggage but assigned seats and other services. Investors have urged airlines to pass on the higher costs of fuel to passengers through ticket-price increases or similar surcharges.

United's customer research showed a quarter of its customers check a second bag, Chief Revenue Officer John Tague said in a statement. The new policy will allow customers with many bags to continue bringing them for a fee and "enables us to offer competitive fares to everyone," Tague said.

Customers who have "Premier" status or higher within United's Mileage Plus program, or "Silver" status or higher within its Star Alliance program still will be able to check in a second bag for free. The new charge applies to those who purchase nonrefundable domestic economy tickets.

United will charge all customers $100 per bag for up to four additional bags. Previous charges ranged from $85 to $125 per bag. The cost to check items that require special handling because they are large, overweight or fragile will now be either $100 or $200, depending on the item.

New fees apply to trips within the U.S. and or those that include Canada, San Juan, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas. Customers whose itineraries include other international flights still will be able to check the second bag for free. The cost to check more than two bags, or items that are overweight or require special handling, on such trips will vary by destination.

UAL shares fell $2.56, or 6.2 percent, to $38.58 Monday.

Well that sucks seeing as how all divers check one real bag and one scuba bag. Don't they know scuba divers don't have any extra money to spend! They should have special rules for us since we're such cool people. :D

I just saw that this afternoon also. We haven't flown United much in the past and certainly hope not to now. And, of course, hope this idea doesn't catch on.

Like traveling with dive gear wasn't already fun enough...

Sucks for those schlepping gear for sure. But I've never had to check more than one bag per person before, and if you're checking 2 bags, chances are you're on some really extended trip where $25 is loose change (flame on).

I've never flown United. They charge too much anyway compared to other ailines.

Well that sucks seeing as how all divers check one real bag and one scuba bag. Don't they know scuba divers don't have any extra money to spend! They should have special rules for us since we're such cool people. :D

I guess ive been lucky, i only ever check one bag in... all dive gear plus 2 tees, 2 knickers, 1 cossie and 1 sarong. i dont even schlep hair products anymore - just buy it when i get there

i suppose we can only hope that all these extra money being raised will go on increased security & staff so our bags will arrive safe but we all know the answer to that!

cheers

They do for golfers. (and I bet they won't be screwing with skiers going thru their Colorado hub, either)

True.

Sucks for those schlepping gear for sure. But I've never had to check more than one bag per person before, and if you're checking 2 bags, chances are you're on some really extended trip where $25 is loose change (flame on).

Guess it's the girly girls that are screwed then. I like to cruise and dive so you have all the outfits, plus formal night, plus shoes, hair products, make up, etc etc :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom