Unleashing my inner mermaid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keri Cuppage

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
iOX098yA_jpeg.jpg
Hello everyone,

My name is Keri, I'm 49, and just received my PADI open water certification last weekend in Miami Beach, Fl., through Tarpoon Lagoon. I'm a San Diego local, but decided to get my certification where it is warm and the visibility is better.

My oldest daughter Tiffany died of a drug overdose in January 2018. She was my oldest of three daughters. I had her ashes turned into a Sea Turtle mold and deployed into the underwater Neptune Memorial reef off the coast of Key Biscayne. I had to learn how to dive to be able to visit her. I was able to dive during my certification class to the memorial reef and see her sea turtle. It was an amazing experience, although sad at the same time.

I am looking to keep up with my diving here in San Diego, as well as travel to other places with some dive groups. I will be heading to Miami Beach once or twice a year to dive to visit my daughter. I just want to make sure I keep up with what I learned in my certification course, plus expand in knowledge and experience.

Any helpful advice, clubs, dive vacation groups, etc.. is greatly appreciated.

Also, I rented all of my gear there, so I don't have anything yet. Guidance on what to buy is also appreciated. I am planning on visiting my local dive shop soon to start piecing together the gear as I can budget it in.

Nice to meet everyone!!

Keri

View attachment 480507 .. the underwater Neptune Memorial reef off the coast of Key Biscayne.
It's a great site and done many dives there to re-visit some friends also placed there. Let us know what section the placement is so others can clean the plaque

Sorry for your loss. I hope you find peace in diving.
Thank you very much. It was a wonderful, very peaceful experience. Bittersweet though. I would have never learned how to dive if it wasn't for her death. I fell in love with my first four dives...I'm hooked!

I've never heard of the memorial reef until now. I think it's a lovely idea. I'm sorry that your loss brought you to diving, but maybe it'll open up a new world to you, where you can visit and remember your daughter.

It's a great site and done many dives there to re-visit some friends also placed there. Let us know what section the placement is so others can clean the plaque
She's in 5C. She was just placed in June, so relatively clean, but that is so wonderful...I was wondering how I was going to keep her plaque identifiable!! You're amazing. Thank you!

Keri,
It seems that you can knock on any door and there will be a similar story - The American tragedy of this century- you certainly have my and Mrs Millers sympathy and most hear felt condolences.

You daughter has a wonderful final resting place at one with the eternal sea

Daughter #3 is named Keni -- we lived on a street that intersected with a street named Keri, We almost named her Keri at the last moment decided on Keni

San Diego California is the birthplace of recreational diving in the US and the world.

My I suggest that you visit Scrips aquarium ?

There is a local SD program titled 3 Rs Reefs, Rocks & Rips ( or something similar to the title) which was developed many years ago by the LA Co UIA and is also being offered free in SD. It would be advisable to attend - not as a participant but initially as an observer.

Also the 2 day SD UW International Film festival is coming soon - it sells out FAST - suggest that you might want to attend -- check with local dive shops etc for tickets -- well worth the time effort & $$$$

FYI a little about San Diego and La Jolla Cove
-- Where it all began

There are a number of vintage books devoted to spear fishing, the most desirable and rarest is of course Gilpatrics "Complete Goggler," published in 1938.

Equally rare, perhaps even rarer are vintage magazine articles. The 1949 National Geographic magazine article "Goggle fishing in California Waters," Vol ZCV #5,May 1949, is considered by most serious magliophile/bibliophile as the fountainhead of magazine articles devoted to spear fishing. And it all took place in LA Jolla Cove in Sam Diego California

Universally known as the "Bottom Scratcher issue," Pages 615 to 632 is jammed packed with with the photograpy of Lamar Boren, who later gained fame as the photgraher of the Sea Hunt series, there are 7 B&W photographs, 12 "natural color" photographs (in 1949 color photography was in it's infancy) and with a text written by professional National Geographic staff member. This issue should be on every collector/historian bucket list.

There is a historical significance of articles and books of this era that provide a glimpse in to a the genesis of the sport and should be cherished as great historical documents...The crude early Churchill fins; the homemade equipment; the masks, the jab sticks (pole spears) the lack of thermal protection...All these items were in the process of future development.

So by visiting and hopefully diving La Jolla Cove you are diving "where it all began" in California by the Bottom Scratchers spear fishing club - One of the most historical diving locations in the world.

LA Jolla Cove was also the location of the famous GWS attack during the summer of 1959 when skin diver Robert Pammerdin lost his life-

Only a few remain who were participants of that bygone era and they are rapidly dwindling in numbers, soon they all will be gone... The last member of the Bottom Scratchers Jim Stewart passed away just a year ago- they are no more

So sorry for your loss! Last month I lost a cousin, whose Mom refuses to accept it and have a funeral, she is in denial for now. Perhaps something like this type of burial will be something she’d consider, as her daughter would be in such a beautiful place.
Thank you for sharing!

Wow, what a wonderful resting place! Sorry for your loss.

Welcome. I do find my time under the water to be therapeutic. I hope that you do too.

Back
Top Bottom