Unscented Talcum Powder ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may try that...but I draw the line on lubing my shaved head! :eyebrow:
lubed bald head through neck seal - very freudian

I dislike talc, perfumed or otherwise. It gets everywhere and is no fun to breath.

Here the popular solution is some sort of gloop. This is either supplied for the purpose, vet lube, KY, or the stuff used doing an ultrasound.

I dislike talc, perfumed or otherwise. It gets everywhere and is no fun to breath.

Here the popular solution is some sort of gloop. This is either supplied for the purpose, vet lube, KY, or the stuff used doing an ultrasound.
That's fine for donning, but the seals are supposed to have talc applied for storage. I'm not going to put KY on them and then hang up the suit or roll it up in a bag.

Yes talc for storage.

In the US, Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder contains just talc and fragrance (as does WalMart's Equate brand) but I will say that I've used J&J's on diving gear and literally, I have a 35 year old mask and snorkel that shows no signs of decay or damage from it.
You can find unscented talc on Amazon.com, apparently also used for billiards/pool where the "baby scent" might clash with the beer.(G)
And rock climbers use a bad of white "chalk" to keep their hands dry, it isn't talc but it is something similar in effect, that might also work.

"Personal" lubricants often are based on glycerine or glycol, which feels like a light oil but is in fact a thick alcohol. Alcohol dries out rubbers in the long term, but silicone should be immune to them.

Best bet might be to just make sure the suit is regularly washed out, and treated with ArmorAll or another plastic treatment which is compatible with the material. (ArmorAll can attack some glued synthetics and paints even though it is safe for most. Again, decades of experience with that.)

Back
Top Bottom