Unbearable itching because of sweat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually avoid cotton underwear and bras. Use materials that wick moisture away from the body instead of absorbing it.
I‘m sure this might work for you, as your profile indicates that you are male.
I have been wearing bras for 50 years and have spent thousands of $$ and not yet found one that can wick the moisture out from under my DD girls when the heat and humidity kick in. Cotton has proven to be the best tolerated option.
In addition synthetic underwear generally gives me a UTI if worn, perhaps there is something out there, but I already have thrown out more brand new pairs than I care to think about. If you have any brand recommendations that do work for you, please share.

Merino wool works well, only issue is make sure not to thick.

I can't use the synthetic fabrics as the fabric irritates my skin. Cotton I have the same issues as the OP with rashes. However some can use synthetic without issues.

Hemp cloth is also great but to get clothing from it you usually have to make if yourself.

Yes I'm male but years of sports in heat with females has taught me a few things.

Hello guys,

I thought I'd come and update. I immediately replaced the talcum powder with corn starch, and in a couple of days I noticed the itch was there, but much more bearable. Now, it's almost over, and there's none most of the time. The red has become pinkish. On top of that, I finally had to see the doc sooner than I had foreseen because I had to go and fetch a prescription to buy my mother's medicines, and since we share the doctor and -very uncharacteristically- he seemed relaxed and chatty, and no one else was in the queue to see him, I asked him and he could see my rash in all its splendour. He said he didn't think it was a matter of fungus, he told me that either talcum powder or corn starch (which I had already started using) would probably fix it, and that I should visit him again if it wasn't so in three-four days. He even said that considering how sensitive my skin is, it was no wonder the rash had set in with all this heat and sweat.

I have never worn any underwear which is not cotton. Even before being aware that my skin cannot tolerate as many things as other people's, I had sort of an aversion to synthetic clothes in general. I will try the merino wool, if I ever see some which is very thin (seeing how prone I am to sweating, the last thing I want is something that makes me warmer). As for hemp cloth, I hadn't heard of it, though I've been looking it up. I'll see... It's a bit weird to go and see a seamstress and ask her to make some knickers for you... Or maybe not! I'll try these options, and if I see they aren't better than cotton, I'll carry on as usual. After all, in all these decades I had never had this problem (probably because I hadn't had to put up with these temperatures for so long before).

So, once again, thanks a lot for being so helpful! After a summer in the dry dock I'm looking forward to my next dives in a couple of weeks, and I hope I won't have to get ashamed because of my red bosom and groins because they will be completely white again. :)

So glad you are feeling better!

P.S.
There is no shame in irritated sensitive skin, but boy, salt water would burn!
:)

Back
Top Bottom