Unwarranted Cost Increase at Florida Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metaldector

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Unwarranted Cost Increase at Florida Springs
I have attached a letter from Larry Fooks to all Florida State Parks that directly effects all cave/cavern diving. The summation of the letter is that the Annual Park Pass does not cover diving. As such a $15.00 daily fee is in effect per park. This change was initiated by DEP Secretary Michael W. Sole who asks for your comments.

Let's be frank, the cave divers/cavern divers have an obligation to challenge this ruling. Not only does it financially harm each and every one of us, but it is far reaching into other states and countries and can conceivable curtail visitors to our Springs, thus loosing revenue at local businesses, dive shops, motels, restaurants, etc.

I'm asking all divers whether (OW, cavern or cave certified) to send emails to Mr. Michael W. Sole telling him in no short order that you are against this increase and want it rescinded now. I'm asking the BOD of the NSS-CDC, and the NACD to actively start action against DEP to institute a change back to the former policy of Annual Passes including diving in Springs. I'm asking all business, dive shops, etc. to also send emails to Mr. Michael W. Sole letting him know of the disapproval and dissatisfaction and affect his ruling may have on their businesses.

Meanwhile, turn in your State Park Annual passes and demand a refund.

Below are addresses, and contact information for the Florida official’s who can and should best effect the changes we seek.

850-245-2011 Secretary Mr. Michael W. Sole
or
Bonnie Hazleton
Director, Office of the Ombudsman and Public Services
3900 Commonwealth Blvd, MS 49
Tallahassee, FL 32399
Phone: (850) 245-2118 (850) 245-2118
Email:Bonnie.Hazleton@dep.state.fl.us
Public Services Contacts by DEP District
Northwest District:
Shawn Hamilton (Shawn.Hamilton@dep.state.fl.us)
160 Governmental Center, Pensacola, Florida 32502
(850) 595-8300 (850) 595-8300 *1180
Counties: Bay, Calhoun, Escambia, Franklin, Gadsden, Gulf, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson (Western half), Leon, Liberty, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, Wakulla, Walton, & Washington
Northeast District:
Russell Simpson (Russell.Simpson@dep.state.fl.us)
7825 Baymeadows Way, Suite B200, Jacksonville, FL 32256
(904) 807-3304 (904) 807-3304
Counties: Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Clay, Columbia, Dixie, Duval, Flagler, Gilchrist, Hamilton, Jefferson, Lafayette, Levy, Madison, Nassau, Putnam, St. Johns, Suwannee, Taylor, & Union
Southwest District:
Anna Gibbs (Anna.Gibbs@dep.state.fl.us)
13051 N Telecom Parkway, Temple Terrace, Florida 33637
(813) 632-7600 (813) 632-7600 *475
Counties: Citrus, Desoto, Hardee, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Sarasota, Sumter, Marion County, (West of I-75)
Southeast District:
Cristina Llorens (Cristina.Llorens@dep.state.fl.us)
400 N Congress Avenue, Suite 200, West Palm Beach, Florida 33401
(561) 681-6605 (561) 681-6605
Counties: Broward, Dade, Martin, Okeechobee, Palm Beach, & St. Lucie
Central District:
Lisa Kelley (Lisa.Kelley@dep.state.fl.us)
Address: 3319 Maguire Blvd, Suite 232, Orlando, Florida 32803-37677
(407) 893-3303 (407) 893-3303
Counties: Brevard, Indian River, Lake, Marion (East of I-75), Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Volusia
South District:
Rhonda Haag (Rhonda.Haag@dep.state.fl.us)
Address: 2295 Victoria Avenue, Fort Myers, Florida 33901
(239) 332-6975 (239) 332-6975 *174
Counties: Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry, Highlands, Lee & Monroe
Mike Bullock, Director
Florida Park Service 850-245-2157

Attachments

• ParkPolicyChange.jpg
    ParkPolicyChange.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 115
Here in Cali one of our local state parks, called Point Lobos, charges an entry fee of $10 per car, or they accept a state park pass. If you want to dive it requires a reservation and they charge $10 per diver.

Since our state parks are in peril due to lack of funding all state parks are having to find more ways to generate revenue onsite. With the threats of closure most people are happy to pay whatever it takes to be able to continue to use our parks. The Russian government is actually going to fund one of our local parks (Used to be a Russian fort known as Fort Ross) to perform upkeep/maintenance and keep the park open. Currently Fort Ross is only open three days a week.

Just letting you know what is going on over on the left coast.

I understand what you are saying Peter, however it should be implemented to "grandfather" in the annual passes that have already been purchased & set a date that all annual passes sold after that date, diving will not be included on it. I bought a pass last Nov. primarily to dive Peacock Springs. I only come down to Peacock 2-3times/ yr right now. Not sure when I'll be back, but it is a let- down that I wasted that money.

Meanwhile, turn in your State Park Annual passes and demand a refund.

however it should be implemented to "grandfather" in the annual passes that have already been purchased & set a date that all annual passes sold after that date, diving will not be included on it.

Means to an end...hopefully. I agree with what both of you say. Action is required and taking money back speaks loudly. Of course the people you are writing to need to be informed of what is happening on the street so to speak.

FWIW I never did read the letter.

Edit: I read the letter. Wow, they are pretty lax on fees in Florida. Here one pass gets one car into the park, not your buddies behind you.

Sounds like they also are instructed to refund the pass. Don't you need the pass to enter the park with your vehicle? (And your buddies vehicle :confused:)

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying Peter, however it should be implemented to "grandfather" in the annual passes that have already been purchased & set a date that all annual passes sold after that date, diving will not be included on it. I bought a pass last Nov. primarily to dive Peacock Springs. I only come down to Peacock 2-3times/ yr right now. Not sure when I'll be back, but it is a let- down that I wasted that money.

I just bought a new pass June 1! I sent an e-mail and will wait a couple days for a response. If my pass isn't grandfathered, I'll go to the park and demand a refund. If they refuse, I'll dispute the charge with my credit card company. I will also no longer go to Florida State Parks.

I have lifetime pass for National parks and it clearly states that I only get free entry, anything else in the parks that has a fee isn't included, however I may be eligible for discounts based on the particular parks policy.

In the fine print with the FL State parks pass does it say anything like that? If not I agree with the OP, if it does, make a reasonable argument as to why there shouldn't be a diving fee and present it to the appropriate agency/people in FL to lobby for a change.

How about the practice of the state park system over the last 15+ years of not charging annual pass holders an additional fee for diving?

Well that sucks... I was due to renew... but rarely goto State Parks enough, while not diving to warrant the pass.

mat, you're my new best friend & i'll be calling you for 'off-the-beaten-path' assistance! :D

I would gladly pay DOUBLE for my state park pass if it covered diving after hours. Maybe we need to inform the state that there are ways to increase revenue without pissing off clients?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom