Upcoming Technical Conference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inovermyhead:
So who's doing the presentation on the benefits of deep air diving?

Glad to see that you respect some of the people who have made diving what it is today.

DPVDiver:
Glad to see that you respect some of the people who have made diving what it is today.

:wink: Thanks for replying before me cause mine wouldnt of been as friendly :wink: and his name does him justice on this one

Hey, whats up with these negative comments.
They have been diving for decades & know alot more about this sport than me and most of the divers on this board.
Its a previlige to be present among all the pro's and to learn from there experiences.

Please show some respect.

Steve

Lets not take the fun out of diving

Hey "inovermy" head, was that just a tasteless joke that no one found funny??? or were you actually serious??? I actually got to meet Reekie last summer up in Duck Islands and I'll tell you it was an honour and a priveledge sitting around for an evening talking about how diving has evolved in the last 30 years. Guys like this were ridiculed and made fun of for coming up with new techniques, talbes and gear configurations that we accept as common practice today. They have EARNED our respect. Almost anyone can get their instructors nowadays, even Scuba_Steve with his cloud of silt :) but these guys had brass balls bigger than anybody most of us will ever know. For your next Big Feat, why don't you start talking trash about Sheck!!!!!!!!!!
Your humour was in poor taste..
Jody

Now that I have that off my chest, my intent on coming here was too let everyone know that if you don't already have tickets it may be too late for you. Apparently, they are only selling 250 tickets! and they are alomst gone in not already!

I guess with and AMAZING guest list like that you'd be a fool not to want to go!!! :wink: I'll let you know how it was when I get back.

Gatorboy

Now you see, maybe thats why some people get offended at me too. I thought that was funny!

C'mon guys :) It was just a comment.

It's no worse than telling you guys that I think Gatorboy is CRAZY for doing a 1.5km surface swim before and after a wall dive, or for diving "Hell's Hole" (A famous Niagara River dive site). I think it for many reasons, the least of which is that it's too much work for just a dive!

This doesn't stop me from diving with him or associating with him. When he does a 200ft $troke air dive, I'm doing it with him on Mix. No biggie. He supposedly can handle it, I can't (Or don't even try to).

The guys back in "The Day" dove the way they knew best, BACK THEN. It was a part of their time. So sure they seem, and maybe are, "antiquated" by todays standards. But they were REAL MEN and innovators weren't they! As mentioned, they helped pioneer the way.

As to Sheck...never met him. He was a huge pioneer from everything I've read about him. But to die for nothing. To die solely for a spot in a record book for the deepest dive. That's not science, that's dumb. It was a waste of his life. It doesn't negate what he did for the good, but it does retract from it somewhat. I'm pretty sure he would agree, if he was alive to tell you. What else could he have accomplished, for the greater good of the sport, if he didn't risk his own life on a silly record attempt that had next to zero scientific value.

So just chill, guys. It's fun, remember?

Scuba_Steve:
As to Sheck...never met him. He was a huge pioneer from everything I've read about him. But to die for nothing. To die solely for a spot in a record book for the deepest dive. That's not science, that's dumb. It was a waste of his life. It doesn't negate what he did for the good, but it does retract from it somewhat. I'm pretty sure he would agree, if he was alive to tell you. What else could he have accomplished, for the greater good of the sport, if he didn't risk his own life on a silly record attempt that had next to zero scientific value.

So just chill, guys. It's fun, remember?

The sad thing about that all "important" record is the diver that did the recovery broke Sheck's record.

Diving air is just wrong these days, maybe it's time we all had another look at the alternatives.

Oh my gosh!

TomR and Scuba_Steve agreeing...........in public no less!

It's gotta be April 1st!!!

Now which one of us is the fool?

heheheheh

OK you out-rank me bud, it's me :)

I have to say, that over the last, say 6 months, I have had the privilege of meeting, diving with, and being instructed by divers outside of my small group. It has been quite the enlightening and "growing" (I could say maturing as a diver) time for me. I know this experience has just begun too.

I thank the likes of Jonathan Brooks (Over The Edge on S/Brd) and Steve Lewis (Doppler) to name just a couple. I have also met other students such as Vlada that I recognize as someone whom I should strive to be more like.

They all have their own message to deliver, through years of experience, and I gleen what I can from them all. I respect them, as I have respected all my previous training to this point.

It's been good to speak a few times with TomR and certainly with MHK, even though it's only been "Cyber".

Hmmm, sorry for the detour...back to the scheduled program.

Scuba_Steve:
Now you see, maybe thats why some people get offended at me too. I thought that was funny!

C'mon guys :) It was just a comment.
Just wanted to touch on that. You've more than established your sense of humour and most of us know how to take you. this guy had 3 posts previous to this and writes blatent disrespect about those people and has not since said any different. When someone takes you out of context and replies to you, you politely correct them. There is a differce.

....and for the record....here we go again..... I don't recommend diving deep air. I do and have done it. In a place like Hell's Hole there is no other way to dive here. In such a heavy current, trimix is not suitable. Our trimix instructor won't even dive it here and neither will Ninja. As for diving deep air in other places, I'm just waiting to do my trimix course which is quickly approaching. I can honestly say that I don't think the time will come when you see me using it in less than 150'. Personally that's how I feel. I know how other's feel about it as well and that's their opinion and their also entitled to it. The number of times I go out in a month and dive around the 150' range would cost me a bloody fortune!! Not to mention that He. is in limited supply. When we run out in ten years are you guys going to stop diving below 100'??? That's a serious question and wouldn't mind getting some feedback on.

Jody

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom