Updated SCUBA tank specifications list -- in PDF and spreadsheet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello!

I have wasted my entire d1ay re-working a SCUBA tank specifications list. I've been working with the Huron Scuba list for *years*, but I'm suspicious of the information: where did it come from? Also, it includes a lot of junk I've never seen in real life, as well as tanks that no one should *ever* dive. So, I completely reworked it.

My favorite part is that I've included links to where the data came from. In most cases, it's straight from the manufacturer, or at least a major US distributor. (So Blue Steel and XS Scuba for Faber, for example.) I've also added a few extra columns. The most important is the water volume of the tanks. With that, you can figure out the true capacity of the tanks -- and not just with air.

I'm including a PDF here. This is just the simple list with the water volume added and all numbers updated. This is for quick and easy reference. But I'm also including the spreadsheet I created as well. This has several additional columns. It has a column that calculates the true air capacity of the tank (including compressibility factor) from the stated water volume at rated pressure and the difference between rated pressure and calculated, as well as a column showing EAN32 capacity at 3600 PSI, and tank factors based on both the air and EAN32 capacities.

If all of that sounds too complicated, simply hide or delete columns E through J. And that's what the PDF is! :)

I've also both expanded and cleaned up the original list. I've added Worthington and Metal Impact tanks, and I've removed some goofy tanks (like Heiser tanks and weird MP tanks). The biggest items removed are the OMS steel tanks. I really wish I had a reference for these, but I can find nothing of verifiable value. It doesn't help that OMS doesn't actually make tanks, and they changed suppliers over the years... so without verification, I simply removed them. If you have a verifiable source (not just some random list on the Internet!), let me know!

There's more notes and comments in the spreadsheet, so check it out for further information.

I'd love any suggestions or thoughts you might have -- or sources for manufacturer specs, particularly for the OMS steel tanks, but also early PST tanks. I only have references for the E7/E8 (3442) tanks. If you have anything from the manufacturer for the LP or true-HP (3500) tanks, that would be good too.

P.S.: Grrr! You can upload MS Office formats, but *NOT* Open Document formats! :( So, I've exported it to Excel format. Hopefully it'll be properly formatted for you... It expanded everything to a million decimal points, but it will still work.

Edit: Attachments updated 2019/09/15. See post #58 for more details.

Wow! It blows my mind that you couldn’t find manufacturer official specs on the PST LP 95 or PST LP 104, which are probably their best selling steel tanks.

Quick question: I see that you were able to find specs on the PST LP 80. When PST is calculating their capacity are they using the plus hydro?

In other words, I’m trying to determine (authoritatively) whether the tank factor for a PST LP 80 is 3.0530 or 3.3583? And same for a 104.

Wow! It blows my mind that you couldn’t find manufacturer official specs on the PST LP 95 or PST LP 104, which are probably their best selling steel tanks.

Quick question: I see that you were able to find specs on the PST LP 80. When PST is calculating their capacity are they using the plus hydro?

In other words, I’m trying to determine (authoritatively) whether the tank factor for a PST LP 80 is 3.0530 or 3.3583? And same for a 104.
Tank volume is stated at plus rated pressure.
A 104 is 104cf at 2640psi

To answer your first question first and briefly (the only time I'll be brief in this whole post! :) ): Manufacturers use the maximum pressure available to that tank at the time they sell it to you. After all, who would sell a tank showing less than its maximum legal volume? And this is shown in the spreadsheet: all service pressures used are the plus-rated pressures where such a thing exists.

Now for your second question not briefly (in fact, *FAR* from briefly: it's a simple question but with a complex answer):

First, tank factors should *NOT* be based on service pressure rating, working pressure, fill pressure or any other such pressure. For speed and convenience people often do, but when you're calculating in advance there is no good reason to do so. Instead, they should be based on the tank's *WATER* capacity. The beauty of water capacity and tank factors is that they work no matter what you call the tank (e.g. LP95 or HP119), what pressure the manufacturer thinks you should fill the tank to, how much they lie about (I mean, embellish for marketing purposes) the gas capacity of the tank, or even what pressure *you* fill the tank to. They stay the same no matter what. (Except when they don't: that's covered later.)

And once you know the water capacity, you no longer have to care about how much gas *they* say the tank will hold. If you really care about the answer, you just figure it out for yourself, so you don't have to guess how they did it. (Of course, you *do* have to depend on the accuracy of the water measurement........)

So, for your example: Let's figure out the tank factor for the PST LP80. We only need a single number: the water capacity of a PST LP80. And that is 12.86 Litres. Where did that come from? That's the beauty of the spreadsheet: it has a link to show where all the info came from -- in this case, a PDF from PST that lists that information. (By the way, that's why I don't have the LP95 or LP104 or LP85 or whatever listed: the PDF doesn't list them, and I don't have any other authoritative references. Find me a company-provided resource that provides water volume (and weight and dimensions) and I'll gratefully add them! :) )

Now for the math. Tank factor is cubic feet per 100 PSI. We need to know how many atmospheres 100 PSI is: 100 PSI tank / 14.7 PSI Atmospheric = 6.80. Now, take the water volume and multiply it by this factor: 12.86 L * 6.80 = 87.5 L. Now, convert that to Cubic Feet: 87.5L * 0.0353147 ft3/L (I just Google for that conversion) = 3.09. Your tank factor is 3.09 ft3 / 100 PSI.

Now, an observant reader might notice that this tank factor does not match either of the tank factors in the spreadsheet! Why not? Two different reasons. First, the air tank factor in the spreadsheet does *not* use the water volume, but rather the manufacturer-stated air capacity (again, always at the plus pressure). For the EAN32 tank factor, that *is* based off the water volume, but it *also* takes gas compressibility (z factor) into account, which throws off the answer by a few percent (4.91%, to be exact). This example used water volume, but no z factor, so it's 4.91% higher.

So this brings me to the final point: *NONE* of this stuff is particularly exact. First off, we are using one or more manufacturer-supplied numbers (at least either water capacity or gas capacity). It's from an authoritative source, but that does not necessarily mean that it's actually *accurate*. Second, there's a wide variety of ways of using those numbers to get to a tank factor. As you've seen, with the information we have for this single tank, we can calculate *three* different tank factors: one based on gas capacity without z factor, one based on water capacity without z factor, and one based on water capacity *with* z factor (for EAN32). And these varied from 2.94 to 3.09 for the exact same tank, using what is *supposed* to be consistent information provided from a single manufacturer-supplied source!

And remember, tank factors are rounded down to the nearest half-digit (unless it's *real* close to the higher value). So getting the number particularly precise doesn't really overly matter. Even in your example: 3.05 or 3.35 get rounded to the same value: 3.0.

(Oh, and giving 104/108's a tank factor of 4.0 is really not right. They are 3.8's, not 4.0 If you're doing something with 104's where the tank factor really matters, make sure you know what you're doing -- or maybe just create a plan where you're not depending on fractions of a tank factor...)

In the end, this is why people end up using rules of thumbs to determine tank factors. KISS: AL80's are 2.5, LP85's are 3.0, LP95/HP120's are 3.5 and 104/130's are 4.0 (even though they're *not*). It's precise enough. If you're using tank factors it's because you're probably at a dive site (or even worse, actually gearing up or in the water!) and trying to do this quickly in your head, and simple means less chance for mistakes. If you're *not* yet at the dive site, then using tank factors isn't really necessary: get out a calculator and calculate the actual gas volumes involved.

Anyway, rant over. I hope this answers your question, though I'm certain it's more than you care about! :) I'm happy to answer questions you might have, but I would suggest if you have further questions, it might be better to break this off into a new thread: it really has nothing to do with the spreadsheet itself, and I'd rather not use this thread as a catch-all for unrelated discussions. (Yeah, I know it's ScubaBoard, but a man can dream...)

Thanks. I have a physics degree so I get what you’re doing and why you’re doing it. I actually started asking these questions precisely because I’ve been taught to use a tank factor of 8.0 for my LP104’s and I’ve always been concerned about that because I believed it was aggressive not conservative.

But then I was just told yesterday by a DOT hydrostatic requalifier (who should know what he’s talking about) that PST calculated their “marketing volume” based on their tanks 3AA-2400 service pressure and not their plus-rated pressure. And if that were the case, then I could stop worrying about being too aggressive because that would mean a tank factor of double LP104’s (even with z-factor) of approximately 8.32

But it sounds like the guy with the RIN doesn’t know what he’s taking about (which is kind of scary) and I should, in fact, probably by using a tank factor of 7.5

Quick question that’s on-topic for your spreadsheet: You mention that you don’t have any manufacturer-specs from PST that show internal water volume of LP95, LP104, or LP120. But do you have any manufacturer specs about those tanks at all? Something that just shows width, height, buoyancy, service pressure, and air volume @ service pressure?

I ask because I have a friend who is selling a set of doubles that he claims are LP104’s. But something seems fishy about them. They have a PST mark, but neither the DOT 3AA-2400 stamp nor the born-on stamp of 4-85 have a “+” after them. And they are a little shorter than my LP104’s but also a little taller than my LP95’s And I’m trying to identify them authoritatively.

I have what’s in my spreadsheet. I’m not holding out on you! :)

However, I, like all of humanity, have access to the worldwide compendium of human knowledge, also known as Google. No doubt three seconds and Google will get you whatever information your heart desires. The problem, of course, is figuring out whether that information is useful or not. That is left as an exercise for the reader. :)

But if, in your travels down the information superhighway, you stumble upon a manufacturer-created document that includes the specifications for those tanks that include water volume and dimensions, please let me know. I will happily add it to the spreadsheet.

IDK the exact qualifications that a DOT hydro requalifier would have, but i highly doubt its more than a day with a power point and a 25 question quiz at the end.

The one around here has tested multiple galvanized cylenders wrong and condemned them.

@tmassey Thanks for this spreadsheet, I've used it for years to give a starting point for weighting as I use new-to-me cylinders.

One correction that could be made is for the Worthington LP95. You have the same empty weight, empty buoyancy and full buoyancy as the Worthington LP85, but the Worthington specs call out an empty weight of 41.9 lbs, an empty buoyancy of -3.0 lbs, and a full buoyancy of -10.1 lbs for the LP95. I own both cylinders and can confirm the LP95 is much more negatively buoyant (and heavier in general).

Attachments

• worthington_steel_specs.pdf
    519.6 KB · Views: 59
One correction that could be made is for the Worthington LP95. You have the same empty weight, empty buoyancy and full buoyancy as the Worthington LP85,

Yup, just a straight-up data entry error. Spreadsheet and PDF are updated and attached here. I'll ask the mods to update the first posts as well.

Attachments

• TMasseyScubaTankSpecs-20240222.xls
    45.5 KB · Views: 50
  • TMasseyScubaTankSpecs-20240222.pdf
    55.7 KB · Views: 56
Any way to have the column headers on Pages 2 and 3 of the PDF?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom