Upgrade from Padi Scuba Diver to Open Water Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bodanel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everybody

in june i will be getting married and i intend in my honey moon to go and get Padi Scuba diver certification. I'd like to know how can i upgrade from Scuba diver to Open Water Diver and what are the cost?

I would take directly Open Water Diver but i dont know how much money will i have when we will finish the wedding preparations.

Will i have to pay the full price for the Open Water Diver course and take all the lessons or i would pay and take only the missing lessons?

Thks in advance

Bodanel

Check Padi's website. They have info on going from Scuba Diver cert to OW cert. Cost could be less for OW if you take scuba diver cert 1st, but don't quote me on that. Best to check with training facility and see what they say.

Here is description from Padi:

Scuba Diver Cert

Personally I would go straight for OW if money allows it.

Hello everybody

in june i will be getting married and i intend in my honey moon to go and get Padi Scuba diver certification. I'd like to know how can i upgrade from Scuba diver to Open Water Diver and what are the cost?

I would take directly Open Water Diver but i dont know how much money will i have when we will finish the wedding preparations.

Will i have to pay the full price for the Open Water Diver course and take all the lessons or i would pay and take only the missing lessons?

Thks in advance

Bodanel

Personally id do the full OW or nothing and just wait until you can afford it.

Scuba diver isnt a qualification - its a sort of professional try diver that affords the holder no autonomy at all.

PADI, SSI and possibly other agencies have the Scuba Diver / Open Water Diver sequence option. When a diver is upgrading from Scuba Diver to Open Water diver, most operators will credit the diver with his previous training and experience. However the total cost of doing it in two steps will be more than if going directly for Open Water Diver. At the start of the upgrade, the instructor must assess your existing knowledge and skills, re-do the paperwork, etc. so there is some additional work required.

Here are a few examples with prices:
PADI scuba diving price list
Diving Courses in the Red Sea. Learn with Camel's Dive School in Sharm El Sheikh.
PADI Dive Courses From Johan's Beach Resort, Subic Bay, Philippines

The only way to definitively answer your question would be to contact whoever you would do the upgrade with, and you probably don't know that yet.

The dive facility or instructor sets the price,not PADI. Do not bother with the idea of getting "scuba diver" certification. Very often it is used for people who do not have the time or desire to make the commitment to do the activity correctly.Just do a resort course and have a DM/instr hold your hand if the commitment to learn properly and get your own gear is not there.
All it is that instead of having to redo a "resort "course every time you go as an uncertified diver,you show the card and you can dive.Must be with a professional and cannot be deeper than 40'...gets expensive if you are required to pay the pro to dive with you.I would certainly charge extra for that service..

You can save a LOT of money by skipping any kind of big wedding ceremony and all that goes with it. Hell, the cost of one wedding dress can EASILY pay for OW training and some gear. Just get your piece of paper and have a small little party at your place (or a friend's or parent's place). Take all of that money you'll save and spend it on OW training, some gear and a good dive trip.

But if you're not willing to do that - then I agree with the others. Skip the scuba diver cert entirely and just wait until you can take the OW class.

I agree skip it. It may seem cheaper to do Scuba Diver, but splitting it up that way will cost you more in total. And since you have to do all dives with a pro, you may wind up paying more for each dive too so it might not even be cheaper in the short term. It's to save time not money, and isn't good for much.

I know a couple who dove for years on vacations, doing another Discover course each time. It made no sense to me, but for what they're doing maybe they're a couple of the rare folks for which "Scuba Diver" would make sense. They have no interest in getting certified or doing anything other than a few shallow babysat dives on any trip, it's more like glorified snorkeling to them.

@NudeDiver

Neither me or my future wife desire a big wedding ceremony and we will not have one but the thing is that in my country are lots of small expenses on lots of traditions and some of them cannot be skipped.

Anyway i am going go directly for a OW course if i will have enough money or i take a first dive to catch the feeling and wait for the OW

Thank you all for the taking the time and answering.

@NudeDiver...Neither me or my future wife desire a big wedding ceremony and we will not have one but the thing is that in my country are lots of small expenses on lots of traditions and some of them cannot be skipped.
Please don't confuse what one MUST do with what one CAN do. Traditions notwithstanding, when it comes to a wedding, there is extremely little that one MUST do. It all comes down to choice - people can CHOOSE to follow tradition - or not. In making that choice, they may be giving up other things in the process. That's another choice.

Good like on your OW class. You made a good choice.

Just a quick 2 cents. My wife did exactly what you described during our honeymoon. I was already a certified diver and she wanted to at least give it a try with me (she had done a resort course previously). The cost difference wasn't that much between the resort course and Scuba Diver, and at least she got halfway to OW. It wasn't a matter or money, but of time, we wanted time to relax, and her going through the manual and doing all the class sessions then seemed excessive. She stuck with it and is up to AOW now.

Back
Top Bottom