Upgrade to Oceans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I've had a 100 Ton Near Coastal ticket for about 20 years. I want to upgrade it to Oceans. I know celestial navigation pretty good as I navigated the North Atlantic & the Caribbean using celestial only.

Is there a specific exam?

I cannot find anything out on the USCG website.....any ideas?

I did some research and found the bulk of it in the Marine Safety Manual. Below is an excerpt from the manual which lists the requirements:

Master Of 100 GT Near Coastal To Master Of 100 GT Oceans.

The regulations do not refer separately to qualifications for master 100 gross tons oceans as they do for master 100 gross tons near coastal. Master 100 gross tons oceans is one of the tonnage increments that come under 46 CFR 10.424, the requirements for master 200 gross tons oceans. Therefore, to endorse master 100 gross tons near coastal for oceans, an applicant would have to show three years of total service, two years of which must have been as a master, mate or equivalent supervisory position while holding a license as master, mate or OUPV, or two years as licensed OUTV or second class OUTV in ocean or near coastal service. The firefighting, AB and radar observer requirements of 10.401(g) must also be met as well as additional examination requirements

It references 46 CFR 10.401(g) which is below:

(g) In order to obtain a master or

mate license with a tonnage limit

above 200 gross tons, or a license for 200

gross tons or less with an ocean route,

whether an original, raise in grade, or

increase in the scope of license authority

to a higher tonnage category, the

applicant must successfully complete

the following training and examination

requirements:

(1) Approved firefighting course;

(2) Approved radar observer course;

and,

(3) Qualification as an able seaman

unlimited or able seaman limited (able

seaman special or able seaman offshore

supply vessels satisfy the able seaman

requirement for licenses permitting

service on vessels of 1600 gross tons and

less).

You also need the short celestial navigation course. It's only offered in Jacksonville and Seattle. Or you can test at CG. I test for AB Unlimited in 2 weeks.

That isn't a license, Jim, it's an endorsement. The radar endorsement is a course you have to take, MPT is where I went. AB is a test, you should qualify from your Navy time, and Celestial is a test. Really, it's just the sight reduction tables, they won't ask you to take an actual sight. The 100-200 ton test only uses the tables for 30-45 north. I'll teach you AB if you teach me celestial. You also need the 5 day firefighting course.

Thanks to @Wookie and @Tug

I'll chew on all of this....

Jim, How did you make out on this?
If you are still mulling it over give Sea School a call, I think there is one in Marathon. They can give you all the classes you need and the exam (I believe).. Fire fighting is a blast, one of the most fun of the USCG requirements. Celestial is not bad if you can add and subtract, I taught it for several years. Don't try studying for the exam on your own, you will study the wrong stuff and waste time. The schools will teach exactly what you need to walk out with the license, a lot like diving.

Jim, How did you make out on this?
If you are still mulling it over give Sea School a call, I think there is one in Marathon. They can give you all the classes you need and the exam (I believe).. Fire fighting is a blast, one of the most fun of the USCG requirements. Celestial is not bad if you can add and subtract, I taught it for several years. Don't try studying for the exam on your own, you will study the wrong stuff and waste time. The schools will teach exactly what you need to walk out with the license, a lot like diving.
Their website is down hard, but they offer some online courses..... I wonder if celestial is one?

There are several of these prep schools around and at least one in the area should have celestial. It takes about a week to teach and is a separate class so you can take it wherever you need to. I have no idea how an online course would go over, there is a lot of give and take to get the concepts across, which is the biggest hurdle for most people. The math looks intimidating but is actually arithmetic. you CAN make it much harder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom