Upgrading to LED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

light.jpg This is what I use. I got it for $50 with an extra 15% discount for taking a class. Plenty bringht for me and was brighter than all of the huge rental lights at my LDS that had the normal light bulbs in it

When I get time next summer I plan to try out the following 2 pin led bulb that designed to replace halogen bulbs like the one the Shockwave uses $12.99 for 2:

Amazon.com: G4 Base 7.5W High Power DC 12V LED Cool White Bright Landscape Light Bulb (Pack of 2): Home Improvement

I would advise testing the new bulb in your light in a bucket of cold water just it case it gets too warm and melts the surrounding plastic parts. If any body tries this before I do, PLEASE DO REPORT BACK to this thread!
Thanks!

fill it full of mineral oil to keep the heat down? does not conduct electricity and is used by many people to keep their computers cool

crab4life, mineral oil is more insulative than conductive. The reason people dunk their computers in that crap is, as far as I understand it, as much for the "wow" factor as anything else. One of the main reasons to do it from a technical standpoint is to cool things that couldn't be covered by waterblocks and would suffer due to the stagnant air from the water blocks. Mineral Oil is NOT a good heat conductor. Proof? The rule of thumb is that good heat conductors are also good electrical conductors. Wood insulates both. Aluminum conducts both.

Either way, water is MUCH more conductive than mineral oil. Dunk it in a bucket of cold water, as was suggested. Make the bucket as big as practicable, OR keep a close eye on water/light temperatures.

I was suggesting that because I made a dive light by filling it completely with mineral oil and it worked quite well because the mineral oil didn't compress like air does.I though it may keep the internals cooler than having just air inside

Sorry please disregard this bulb suggestion: I measured the amount of clearance from the base of the mount to the inside face of the screwed on head/lens and I have a max of 3.2cm to work with so I had to look for a different bulb.

I found 2 options from DealExtreme (DX.com) both short enough to not touch anything. One is GCD F2 G4 3W 180lumens 6 X SMD 5730 LED White light Car Lamp (12V) for $4.16 and the other is G4 2.2W 183Lumens 3200K warm white 9-SMD 5630 LED light bulb 2pcs for $12.28.

I would advise testing the new bulb in your light in a bucket of cold water just it case it gets too warm and melts the surrounding plastic parts. If any body tries this before I do, PLEASE DO REPORT BACK to this thread!
Thanks![/QUOTE]

Thanks!

The big problem converting halogen to LED is that halogen can handle high temperatures.
LED's can't. They degrade quickly when temperature is high, and it also reduces output light.

This is why all the high-power lamps are made of aluminium.

You should keep the alu disc, where the XM-L is mounted below 100centigrades (boiling Water). This is not easy in a plastic lamp, with 10W dissipated.

The idea about oil is theoretically not bad, as the thermal conductivity of oil is 5x better than air. It will spread the heat much better over the Whole lamp inner surface.
It will also remove the compressable air, removing the risk of leaks.
But it's a big mess, every time you change batteries..

Is there any direct replacements for HID bulbs? or are the electroncs completely different?

Gave up on conventing the old torch and bought myself a the LED version of the torch :D

I updated my Shockwave 12V halogen bulb to this one I found on eBAy:
[h=1]G4 12V 10x5730SMD 350LM 4W Pure/Warm White Light LED Spot Bulb[/h]Bought it for $2.97 and waited the 10 days it took to come from China. Tested fine and no heat problems even with the tip of the bulb being 1/8inch from the plastic clear dome of the Shockwave. Now my Shockwave light purchased in 1991 is like a new light. I don't have a way to measure the lumens output but in my garage with the lights turned off, it's pretty bright and much better than the old halogen bulb output. I use NiMah 1.5V C-batteries at 5000 Mah so this light usage will last even longer. Now my light is blueish white instead of orangey yellow.

---------- Post added August 27th, 2015 at 06:46 PM ----------

I'm tempted to try out this 450 lumens bulb but the length of the bulb may be too close to the dome of the Shockwave light.
[h=1]G4 10 SMD 5730 LED 450-LM 5W Pure/Warm White Spot Light Bulb Lamp w/ Lens 12V DC[/h]
It's $2.15 from China. Definitely will need to test it in cold water to see if it gets too hot for the plastic dome of the Shockwave light.
Anybody find a shorter height bulb?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom