Upper Canada Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've driven by twice in the last week. The second last time, I drove by too quick to verify, but it looked like UC Scuba was empty. Today, we stopped and had a look inside....definitely empty.

Last month I remember the shop being open. Does anyone know what happened to the shop? I really enjoyed diving with Mike and the crew.

I know the Training Director of the Toronto Super Turtles, so I may be able to shed some light on this mystery. If someone else has heard something, please post it!

Hello

Mike can be found at Climb Toronto / Dive Toronto . Location! south of Eginton on Warden two streets south of Rona on the west side half down the road on your left, I beleave the name of the street is Romolus or somthing like that. Please Note: Upper Canada Scuba is no longer in existance and you won't find the same operator or deals at Climb/Dive Toronto, The new partial owner Brian is handling all scuba sales but Mike will still be teaching and operating charters. Climb Toronto will be at the Out Door Adventure show this weekend, so stop by and say Hi. Hope this helps M

UDTMaster

Not sure of the store hours or operational status.... dropped by and it was closed a few weeks back.... but Dive Toronto is at 65 Hymus Road on the west side of Warden, the building is on the south side... big and industrial.... it houses a welding or machine shop.... look for the door around the middle of the building with big white letters "Climb/Dive Toronto". There is also a nonfunctional web site www.divetoronto.com Maybe will have more info if they are at the Outdoor Show...:confused:

Say Dr Who... whats up with Super Turtles.... web site hasn't been updated in eons.... broke into scuba with them :)

UDTMaster once bubbled...
Hello

I beleave the name of the street is Romolus or somthing like that. UDTMaster

Hey isnt that the planet in the new star trek movie?
How come dive toronto does not have a moose in their logo on the web page?

Old attitudes and terrible lack of customer service does not and will not make any new business adventure any better when the same old hand is partially picking at the pot. This alone will make any one want to climb a wall.

punchespilot once bubbled...
Old attitudes and terrible lack of customer service does not and will not make any new business adventure any better when the same old hand is partially picking at the pot. This alone will make any one want to climb a wall.

Ouch... nasty.... come on now, play nice. Mike is a great guy.

SB

From what I have been able to find out about Dive Toronto the owner is Brian Bourgeois. He was trained at UCS and some of the staff are with him. Mike is not a owner of Dive Toronto, he will be teaching tech and will be running his boats in the summer. Also, Mike did not own UCS, his wife did and I met her when she worked at the Wetshop and she is out of the business for good, KIDS. When she had the kids and left UCS, service did suck. I have been told by people who have dealt with mike that he can teach, but he can not run a dive shop. Maybe this will work out for the better for everybody

Where is Big Bad Mike...is he on holidays, diving, preparing Sue for another set of twin, training at Humber Bay or just working for a living. I miss the Big Guy...I spent many enjoyable hours listening to his diving stories and diving adventures/misadventures. Hope he resurfaces again.

Maybee Alec Pierce has an opening soon for a new lead instructor who knows everything about all aspects of diving. Perhaps he will eventually open another store under another name and start up again like his good buddy A.P did.

Wherever you are Mike I hoist another glass of beer up to you to cheer you on

Nitrox2
The Deeper The Better

Your definitely right punchespilot ... I went to see the rock climbing pavilion a short while ago... Some of the moulds looked like scuba masks that weren't sold and now make good forms for making great hand holds. I even thought I saw a few fins nailed to the plywood rock climbing surface. The merger of these two businesses is probably perfect for each other. What you can't sell you use as rock climbing props.

I really don't want to get into this but... just to set the record straight:

1. My name is spelled Alec Peirce.
2. The UCS corporation may have been registered in Susan's name (very common thing to do) but it was joint ownership between several people. It's usually done via a trust agreement.
3. Brian Wake, Susan Wake and Mike were all trained at The Wet Shop by myself and other Wet Shop instructors from scuba diver to instructor other than their technical training.
4. Susan was full time store staff for me for several years and did an excellent job. Many times I've wished she was available again.
5. The first store Brian was involved in was as part owner for a while of one of my Wet Shops in Barrie. That's about 12 years ago (I'm guessing).
6. Although they each completed their PADI Scuba Instructor training with us, none of them ever worked as an instructor for me.
7. We do not have a 'lead' instructor. There are 40+ instructors at Scuba 2000 and while several are certainly senior by virtue of their time at S2K, higher instructor credentials and experience, technically all are equal in status.
8. There are many, many scuba instructors who know everything about scuba and most of them are eager to tell you that. Generally as time passes and they get more experience they mature and realize how little they really know. At that point they become candidates for employment at S2K.
8. I think Mike probably cringed at the term 'good buddy'. I know I did.
9. I know Mike personally just well enough to agree with you that his stories about his diving expoits are very interesting - even moreso in light of the time he's been involved in scuba.
10. 'The Deeper The Better' is right on when enjoying an intimate moment with your girlfriend but in scuba diving that attitude inevitably ends with someone getting screwed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom