US Based Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike-G

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone recommend any US based liveaboards ... maybe out of Florida or Texas?

Thanks,
Mike

Not from personal experience. I can tell you some I know of.

Texas - Fling Charters out of Freeport, TX. Undercurrent has an old review. Weather can cancel a trip; I asked someone who would know the best time frame for an out-of-stater to fly in for a trip with the best chance of it working (plus I like warm water!), and was told July 15 to September 15.

California - which you didn't ask specifically - Truth Aquatics, The Peace, Great Escape. I'm booked for an August 2016 limited load Southern Channel Islands 5 day trip with Truth Aquatics. I've heard some strong praise about the Peace. I found some good content on Great Escape's web site. I've been working on a write-up for planning an out of state dive trip to California, trying to make sense of the options.

Florida - the Spree is popular on this forum, and hits the Dry Tortugas & a range of other places. Blue Iguana Charters has a range of offerings. The Juliet hits different places seasonally, and has Florida Keys and Bahamas charters departing out of Miami.

Others can offer you 1st hand reviews; a number of people on this forum are Spree fans.

Richard.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend any US based liveaboards ... maybe out of Florida or Texas?

Thanks,
Mike

In order of preference, my top three are:

The Spree
The Spree
The Spree

http://www.researchvesselspree.com/spreeexpeditions/default.aspx

1333547322spree.jpg

I'm a big fan of the MV Spree (@Wookie is Capt Frank) out of Key West and of Blue Iguana @Capt Scotty out of Key Largo.

In addition to those named in previous posts there is also Great Escape from Ft Myers (lots of spearos)

Thank you all. Having recommendations really means a lot. I saw that the spree requires you bring your own weights on this page http://www.researchvesselspree.com/spreeexpeditions/termsCond.aspx but on other pages I see that they supply weights. Every live aboard I've done supplied weights ... I guess I'll have to ask before I book the trip.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
IIRC, the Fling (I believe it was) had a limited supply of weights and prefer people who can bring their own, but obviously people flying in by plane find that impractical. Locals, or people driving down by car, could bring their own weights. Double-check with the Spree directly, but that may be how it works. Let us know what you find out.

Richard.

P.S.: From a Fling charters webpage:

"Weights?

Divers need to provide their own weight and weight belt. If coming from out of town, the boat is able to provide lead but needs to know approximately how much is needed in advance. There is always some lead on board for anyone who is a few pounds light."

Just mention @Wookie, and he may chime in.

I love the Spree - It's a diver's boat, you dive - dive - dive and repeat.

We supply weights, not belts.

I've done three trips with the Juliet out of Miami. Two of them were long weekend trips to Bimini and one was a week in the Keys. I loved all of them, the Keys trip was a bit of a disappointment because of the weather but obviously that's not the boat's fault. If you look through my history I did a trip report for the first Juliet Bimini trip a few years back. If you've got any specific questions feel free to ask.

I've never been on the Spree but I've heard very positive things about her from people I've chatted with on some of my other trips. Everyone agrees that it's a very professional, well run operation and the food seems to get rave reviews.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom