US Congressman Takes Hit for Flying Flag during Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dunno about patriotism, but I am pretty sure it is not DIR...

He's also a politician that knows how to set up a good photo op, all that's lacking is the national anthem playing with the picture

Like I said, promotion or patriotism

West is/was a regular at Force-E, a shop that sends most of their classes to SFDHQ, the charter op in question. Also, look at the photo credit.... Joe Marino is a well known local diver/photog who also happens to get the local AP gigs for shuttle launches.

How many local divers have volunteered to SUDS...? Either $$$, product, the auction or even time....?

So - it doesn't take too much of a braniac to image someone mentioning... 'Hey Allen - you going to be in town the weekend of the 12th...? We got a bunch of vets in town getting certified - wanna join us....?"

I can tell you this, I was down at FLL sitting in the TSA line a few weeks back, up at o'dark thirty in the morning to catch a 6am flight to Charlotte, and who was there just like everyone else.... Allen West. He wasn't pressing the flesh, he didn't have an entourage, and he wasn't making a spectacle of himself. He was getting up in the morning and going to work, and standing in line just like the rest of us. I think one other guy noticed who he was and gave a 'thank you for your service' and that was that...

I guess it would be how literally you take USC Title 36 Chapter 10 Section 176?
Which in part reads: (b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

If you read through all of 176 you will see many things that are violated on a regular basis. Flags on sports uniforms, paper plates and napkins. In fact those flags with an eagle added to them are addressed in 176.

Do I find the picture offensive? No
Inappropriate? Maybe So

FWIW, I am a service veteran and was injured in the first Gulf War.

Few questions,
1) Did he post the pics on Facebook or Twitter ?
2) Did he send them to some lady friends ?
3) Will congerss be asking him to quit ?

I don't think CNN will be picking up the story.
It may be just me, but I don't think he intended to do anything wrong with reguards to the flag.

Like posted above, non story. Nobody got shot, killed or exposed.

Jim breslin

My only question is whether flying a US flag underwater is considered appropriate. I don't know for sure... I've heard opinions on both sides. If it is not considered appropriate to do so, I can see the criticism. If it is appropriate, who cares.
Bill, I can't be sure about it, but I seem to remember seeing a flag flying underwater on the USS Arizona. I know one is routinely replaced on the Duane... Not a word has been uttered against those flags flying underwater

Appropriate? I would tell those people to get a life, it's just a flag. This is not a criticism to anyone in particular on this thread, just a general rambling about this sort of "happenings". I understand some people have a deep sentiment of patriotism instilled into them, but this is ridiculous. I can see the criticism as it being a "photo op" from a political standpoint. I dunno if you could criticize that. Politicians are what they are, and they always are in the lookout for a good photo op. A flag, a baby, an old man, it's all the same to their marketing department. Get pissed because they take a photo with a puppy too. I think there are much better reasons to get angry at the political class everyday than this though.

But being outraged because it would be appropriate or not for a flag ... it's a flag, a piece of cloth, for god sakes. Even if you burn the thing it is still only but a flag, polyester and some cotton. I can understand concepts like honorable cause, and even nationalistic feelings (even tho I prefer to think I am a citizen of the world). But we need to put things into perspective. People should get outraged that someone fires a shower of hellfire missiles into a populated area in afghanistan, or get really pissed about how much money your government spends on contracts, local government, federal government, any government (unless you are the contractor, of course). People should be outraged there is poverty, not enough opportunities for everyone. Nationalism is used by whichever side needs to instill the patriotic feeling in an attempt to have things go their way, or attract a feelgood sentiment.

It's just a flag. Get outraged about the things that REALLY matter. That's what I think. But then again, I am not a flag person. :)
The voice for reason from someone living outside the USA... Thanks!

As much as I am patriotic, this "statement" has remained toward the top of my patriotism... The day they make flag burning illegal is the same day I will be arrested for burning one in front of City Hall!

Bill, I can't be sure about it, but I seem to remember seeing a flag flying underwater on the USS Arizona. I know one is routinely replaced on the Duane... Not a word has been uttered against those flags flying underwater

The Duane, the Speigel Grove, the Captain Dan, I've seen flags 'flying' on all of them...

Some folks are getting wrapped up in the age old dilemma of letter and intent....

The intent is to show the flag 'respect' and 'reverence' as due a symbol of our nation and the sacrifices made to protect it and our way of life....

I guess it would be how literally you take USC Title 36 Chapter 10 Section 176?
Which in part reads: (b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

I think the *intent* of those rules and general flag etiquette is to show respect for the flag. Certainly you wouldn't want to toss the flag into a puddle of water on the ground, or wad it up and throw it into a river. But to "fly" it underwater, you are displaying it with pride and respect. That water is probably cleaner than the air in many places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom