US Congressman Takes Hit for Flying Flag during Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Appropriate? I would tell those people to get a life, it's just a flag. This is not a criticism to anyone in particular on this thread, just a general rambling about this sort of "happenings". I understand some people have a deep sentiment of patriotism instilled into them, but this is ridiculous.

I don't see concern as being ridiculous IF it is against the code that outlines proper procedures for displaying the flag. I still don't know for sure whether it is inappropriate however.

Congressman West the combat war vet, keep up the good work

I guess it would be how literally you take USC Title 36 Chapter 10 Section 176?
Which in part reads: (b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

This is why beauracratic regulations always break down in practice. A simple edict "The flag should be displayed in a way that shows respect" would be a lot cleaner, and avoid technical breaches like this.

Call it Art and the Supreme Court will allow way more disrespect than shown here.

Bob
--------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

This is why beauracratic regulations always break down in practice. A simple edict "The flag should be displayed in a way that shows respect" would be a lot cleaner, and avoid technical breaches like this.

Agreed, but then you have a lot of parsing over the meaning of respect". This regulation was surely written long before we even had scuba diving and it's hard to write laws that are specific that can remain reasonable as society advances. Part of the problem is we simply have too many laws to keep updated.

Why is this even in the news?

I don't know the congressman ... don't like politicians on general principle ... and most likely wouldn't agree with his politics even if I did. But the guy took a bunch of disabled veterans diving. They had fun, and in the process made a gesture that showed some pride in what they all had in common. Props to the congressman ... most don't do anything nearly that meaningful.

Maybe those folks who found something in this to complain about should consider getting a life ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I guess it would be how literally you take USC Title 36 Chapter 10 Section 176?
Which in part reads: (b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

If you read through all of 176 you will see many things that are violated on a regular basis. Flags on sports uniforms, paper plates and napkins. In fact those flags with an eagle added to them are addressed in 176.

Do I find the picture offensive? No

Inappropriate? Maybe So

FWIW, I am a service veteran and was injured in the first Gulf War.

It wasn't touching anything "beneath" it. It was waving in the water just as it would in air.

Gotta tell ya, the statement "It's just a flag" itches a bit.

I respect and have sworn to uphold any person's first amendment right to express themselves, even if in a fashion I dislike.

But sorry folks. To me it's not "just a flag". It's a symbol of a nation where I was born and have been raised. It's a symbol of the freedoms, rights, and privileges which that nation provides and are the reason I choose to be here, raise my family here, and have given allegiance. (Anybody over the age of 14 who recites the Pledge of Allegiance might want to reflect on what those words mean next time). Finally, it's a symbol of some of the human costs that have been paid to maintain that nation.

The real issue for me was the picture. Is it a photograph of someone in office who used that position to support and bring a little awareness to the issues of disabled vets and in doing so displayed a flag in a respectful way? Or was it some cheezy politician seizing a photo op without thought about what he was doing? You decide, but locally the guy's track record here in Florida is pretty good.

But c'mon folks....it's "just a picture".

Last edited:
Not bothered.
To me it was respectful and not a "Prop". Attention getter yes, so what.
The Sailors,Soldiers, and Marines (assuming all branches were in attendance) that were there seem to be OK with it, and would speak up I am sure if they thought something was inappropriate.

Full disclosure:
I voted for Rep. West.
I do not always agree with him.
I do not always agree with any other human being on the planet either.......
well...
except for my wife...because she is always right...
unless she tells me she was wrong...
and I typically agree with her then also.

Chug
Thinks intent is everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom