Us Dollars Or Honduran Lempiras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be coming to both Roatan and Utila later this month. I've noticed that both the hotels and scuba operators I'll be using will add on a hefty surcharge if I pay by credit card so looks like I'll have to bring quite a lot of cash with me on this trip. I'll also be using the ferries to go from one island to the other via connecting at the mainland.

So with all the services I'm likely to be using including hotels, scuba, ferries, taxi and restaurants, I was planning to bring all US dollars since I see many businesses down there quoting in US currency anyway. Also, I'm going to spend a few days in El Salvador afterwards which uses US currency anyway.

My question is whether it's worthwhile to bring any Honduran lempiras or not? I don't know if any businesses on the two islands might quote better prices if paying in local currency.

One other thing - I'm planning to stay only within Utila town and West End of Roatan during my stay. Are these places pretty safe to walk around at night if I stay on the main roads? I'll be using Chillie's in Roatan and Colibri in Utila.

I went and just used US Dollars. You might get Lempiras back in change though.

Nice clean unripped intact US banknotes only. Obtain the newer versions that are now being issued.

It's the government and banks that cause the double digit service fees for plastic. Some may cut you a discount for cash, esp if you are buying a multi dive package.

In terms of safety, you hit it on the head. Stay in the tourist zone, don't look like a sheep. Use your head, avoid "in-depth interpersonal relationships", go out with your DMs, buy them a few Salva Vidas!

Enjoy!

What Doc said. And you will get Lem back in change, I can't stress the unripped enough. If the bills are ripped the banks will not accept them from the stores/dive shops/ dive masters.

Btw- a 1 Lempira banknote is worth $.045 USD

Don't expect coins, although they do have occasional pennies that show up.
What 1/100th of 4.5 cents US is, I have no clue.

Clean 1 Lempira banknotes are a rare keepsake.

Last edited:
I went and just used US Dollars. You might get Lempiras back in change though.

^^ my experience too

If you do want local currency, consider going through a local ATM upon arrival for the best exchange rate should be much better instead of what you will get back home.

I'll be coming to both Roatan and Utila later this month. I've noticed that both the hotels and scuba operators I'll be using will add on a hefty surcharge if I pay by credit card so looks like I'll have to bring quite a lot of cash with me on this trip. I'll also be using the ferries to go from one island to the other via connecting at the mainland.

So with all the services I'm likely to be using including hotels, scuba, ferries, taxi and restaurants, I was planning to bring all US dollars since I see many businesses down there quoting in US currency anyway. Also, I'm going to spend a few days in El Salvador afterwards which uses US currency anyway.

My question is whether it's worthwhile to bring any Honduran lempiras or not? I don't know if any businesses on the two islands might quote better prices if paying in local currency.

One other thing - I'm planning to stay only within Utila town and West End of Roatan during my stay. Are these places pretty safe to walk around at night if I stay on the main roads? I'll be using Chillie's in Roatan and Colibri in Utila.

Utila is very safe night or day, West End, maybe so, maybe no. Stay off the side streets!

A lot of the ATMs are hacked on a regular basis.

Thanks for the feedback folks. If there is no significant price differences between what taxis, restos and ferries will charge me whether in US dollars or lempiras, then I might as well just stick to dollars, especially if I might end up getting some lempiras back in change anyway.

For safety, my hotel in Utila, the Colibri, is on a sideroad but the owner claims it's only about 50 m and is safe. In Roatan, my hotel Chillies is on the main drag and I don't see any reason to go off.

Has crime come to Utila? My feel for Utila is now 10 years stale, but I wandered all over the place at all hours of the day and night for six weeks, and felt it was one of the most peaceful, friendly places I have ever visited. What could someone possibly hope to steal from the penniless backpackers in town? The 20 Lemps in the guy's pocket left after Quiz Night at Bundu Cafe?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom