US Expat fatality in Vanuatu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I have read, it is very possible that the guide did not have a dive computer as it seems the owner was not fixing old computers as well as dive gear and guides were regularly diving without any computer or even timing device. In any case, as I have mentioned, Vanuatu is not a first world country and their police are not experienced in investigating things like this, so of course they did not seize the guide's computer (if he had one). By the time the NZ police investigated it would have served no purpose to find and download the computer (as well as neigh on impossible).

I have now finished updating my web site article with all the information. You can also download the NZ police report and the Coroner's Findings from the page. Click here to access.Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site

Last edited:
Early in the thread, there was some discussion that she might have been heading back into the wreck, and that the reason might have been her computer was lost/dropped because there were comments the computer might not have been on her when they found her, or something like that.

1. Although less likely, is there any possibility that the dive profile, which many of the conclusions are based on and is the most glaring evidence, could be from a "dropped" computer that she went back for?

2. Additionally, was any communication with the elusive witness to her re-entering the wreck ever accomplished? or is it now accepted that he witnessed the original entry and not the re-entry?

Thanks.

My understanding is the entrance to this particular section of the wreck is at 23 meters. She never made it to that depth again until she was rescued. She never left the wreck. So the guide lied and the witness either lied or mistaked someone else for her.

My understanding is the entrance to this particular section of the wreck is at 23 meters. She never made it to that depth again until she was rescued. She never left the wreck. So the guide lied and the witness either lied or mistaked someone else for her.

I think Maverick's point was that the reason we now believe that she did not exit the wreck is because her dive computer profile does not show her ascending to 23 meters. But this assumes that the diver stayed with her computer the entire time. What if her dive computer fell off her arm at 33 meters, thereby accounting for the "drop" shown in the profile?

My recollection in reading back over the posts is that her fins were off and her reg was out of her mouth when they found her, but was her computer still attached to her wrist? If so, that would rule out Maverick's alternative theory.

It does not seem that anyone specifically asked if the dive computer was on her wrist, but there is no evidence at all to support the theory that it was not. In any case, if it fell off at 33 metres, I would expect a far quicker descent than the one shown.

Also given her lack of experience and poor diving skills, its reasonable to suggest that had she left the wreck and then discovered that her dive PC was missing, she lacked the skills or confidence to easily go back in to exactly the right spot and find the PC which would have been down in silt had it been dropped. We are not talking about an experienced diver with good quality lighting and a knowledge of the wreck. Also given she was nervous about the diving there, it seems unrealistic to suggest that she then had the courage after leaving the wreck to return by herself.

Like most mysteries its not just one clue that tells the story, but a number of individual clues, each in isolation not an absolute indication of the story, but together make up the likely events.

I think adding all the evidence up, a reasonable person would come to a similar conclusion as clownfish.

Anyone of a number of things would have prevented this incident, and like most accidents, all the holes lined up on the day.

When I have been involved in guiding or supporting instructors, I was always tail end Charlie ensuring all the stragglers were accounted for and no one fell by the wayside. I have seen a number of poorly guided dives in my time, anyone of which could have ended up similar to this.

A combination of;
Inexperienced divers (scared to say they need help)
Poor conditions
Trust me diving
Poor equipment
Poorly lead dive
Bad communication
Lack of attention to indicators by guides that all is not well with the clients
Desire to ensure the dive occurs at any cost

On a number of dives I have acted as a personal defacto guide/DM realising that some of the divers are at risk and required personal attention, rather than me just being part of the dive group. Often it doesn't take much to assist the divers so the experience becomes a positive for them. Also supporting them so they have the courage to ask for help when required. making them feel comfortable about being a beginner. I would rather do that and somewhat spoil my dive experience than hold back and see someone in crisis or die.

On a number of dives I have acted as a personal defacto guide/DM realising that some of the divers are at risk and required personal attention, rather than me just being part of the dive group. Often it doesn't take much to assist the divers so the experience becomes a positive for them. Also supporting them so they have the courage to ask for help when required. making them feel comfortable about being a beginner. I would rather do that and somewhat spoil my dive experience than hold back and see someone in crisis or die.

Just clicking "like" to this isn't enough.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

My recollection in reading back over the posts is that her fins were off and her reg was out of her mouth when they found her, but was her computer still attached to her wrist? If so, that would rule out Maverick's alternative theory.

With all due respect, I'm a very casual observer of this and have no theory. :) I just read the whole thread the other day and recall the discussion of the computer falling off, and never saw it resolved (to my untrained knowledge), and wondered if the dive profile was enough evidence to disregard that theory.

From post #29:

It seems that this was witnessed by another diver (his first name is Justin but he calls himself Jack....... I am told that he told Rayman Lueng, owner of the hotel where Laila was staying, that he (Jack) saw Laila re-enter the wreck via Euarts Door. I have also been told this by John (the leader of the Brisbane group) who was also told this by Jack.

John told me that Jack saw Laila swimming back along the starboard side (the shallowest part of the wreck) and re-entering Euarts Door.... It is not known why she did this. I can only speculate that she had dropped something (her torch? her computer?).

A few posts following discussed how easy it is for computers to break the strap and fall off, etc.

A bit later in #29, no mention of fins off, but there is this:

...a number of divers went back into the water ....and found Laila.... Her dive computer was beeping and one of the people took it off her wrist (at least this is what has been thought to have happened) as the beeping was annoying them. It is also possible that her computer was found off her body (if she had dropped it).

I didn't read anywhere about fins off, I deleted out the part of reg out, but that was clearly mentioned. But I also didn't look on clownfish's website or read the report, only this thread, so maybe the fins being off was mentioned there. All I saw mention of is how they were way too big.

It does not seem that anyone specifically asked if the dive computer was on her wrist, but there is no evidence at all to support the theory that it was not. In any case, if it fell off at 33 metres, I would expect a far quicker descent than the one shown.

The last part about rate of descent then would seem to answer the question anyway.

Maverick17, some of the things you mention are now known to be incorrect as I have access to more information.

Read only from post 91 and you will get what really happened (or better, take the time to read my web site which is much more expansive).

Also, no mention is made by the NZ police of a broken strap for Laila's computer, so it is very, very unlikely that it fell off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom