US Navy OOC Suspends Use of Poseidon Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's been an ongoing flap over a bad batch of hoses Poseidon supplied to the US Navy, so it probably has to do with that. Supposedly it only involved the one batch, and they all went to the Navy.

Sure is irritating, though, to see an important-looking safety alert, then find it's password protected!

Originally posted by CincyDiver
I was just downloading the latest Navy Diving manual when I saw a news headline on the right hand side of the page. The actual article is password protected.

Here is the Link.

Anybody know why?

CincyDiver once bubbled...
I was just downloading the latest Navy Diving manual when I saw a news headline on the right hand side of the page. The actual article is password protected.

Here is the Link.

Anybody know why?

Probably at the insistence of the manufacturer for the duration of the dispute. After all, there's two sides to this story and I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to want to get into a public pissing contest with a customer, especially not the USN in this case.

In answer to the question why is the important safety note password protected: it is information available to military diving commands only not the general public; for reasons that have not been completely clear at this time.

as far as the regs well here it goes:

back last year there were a few cases of poseidon 2nd stage hoses parting at the swedge while diving, this caused quite a stir and well between posiedon and the USN they came up with a testing method to verify hose integrity, this process went to all military diving commands,
but just when you think it was over, this year Feb- Mar time frame again there were a few failures of the 2nd stage hose at the swedge yet again, NAVSEA decided to warn all diving commands that they were stop diving the Posiedon Odon regular until further notice, the 1st stage however, could still be used with an AGA mask. the issue still has not been completely solved and until it does I guess you will have to wait a little while longer till I get the info.

I hope this answered your questions..

rainreg

A freind of mine had the hose come apart on a cave dive.

that makes me a little nervous. Where is this "S" wedgey???

Is it related to the mythical "widget" in any way??

ok the swedge is the metal fitting at the end of the 2nd stage hose that connects the threaded fitting to the hose, does that explain the "swedge" better.

the metal fitting is sliped over the end of the hose and then it is crimped to the hose, which is supose to create a tight union between the fitting and the hose that is air tight, and snug. I can forward some pictures of the poseidon hose that separated after I get permission from the nav.

rainreg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom