US PNW Diver joining in

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dblmc

Registered
Reaction score
Hello out there! I came across this board on a search engine and like what I see so far. I'm happy to see a list that is not affiliated with any particular dive shop like so many local lists are. I look forward to diving...all over the globe! (It's nice to put on a thin wet suit once in a while)

Wow, PNW, Puget Sound. I envy you.

I'm new here too.

I live in Vancouver, WA. I'm so jelous.

I got interested in diving last month and I have my first pool session on Sept. 21st. I can hardly wait. I'm very excited.

Glad to have you aboard. I hope you enjoy.

Chad

dotyj,

You're not really that far away in Vancouver. Once you get certified you can hop in the rig and head to the canal. I expect you can be in Hoodsport in about two hours, right? That's not a whole lot longer than it'd take me from Seattle. There you can dive two of the Northwest's premier dive sites: Sund and Octopus Hole, both marine preserves.

The same two hours would get you to a myriad of other dive sites on the sound. Check out Fischnaller's book, Northwest Shore Dives or the dormant page Eric's SCUBA Page for more info.

Welcome to diving. You're gonna love it!

Oh, and dblmc, welcome to the board!

DWO

That's good. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on, and been going nuts wanting to buy gear, but I've been behaiving. Well, sort of. I did buy an Aqualung Octopus alternate regulator. I did promise my instructor though that I wouldn't go off buying anymore gear until after we meet in my first pool session and decide what gear I'll really need.

I have an interesting problem but shouldn't keep me out of the water. I have a spinal muscular disorder and use a powerchair full time.

I am a decent swimmer though and "comfortable" in the water.

Before deciding to sign up for scuba classes, I did do a practice swim of 250 yards followed by treading water for 10 minutes in the pool at our apartment complex.

I had a hard time convincing my doctor to give his okay. He obviously was concerned about my learning curve and the heavy gear which he knows I can't carry. He didn't want me to end up in a classroom setting where I couldn't keep up physically with the challenge.

I told my doctor that I'd already talked to the instructor about my abilities and that he was certified in training people with disabilities. Also my sessions would all be one-on-one and that I would learn to don and doff (Is that right?) my gear in the water since I couldn't possibly lift it all.

I am capable of standing and walking on my knees. I can climb stairs on my knees and can easily climb in and out of a swimming pool with steps. I can also stand if I'm in water at least three feet deep.

Though I can use a manual wheelchair, I'm not very quick and don't have much power.

At this time, I feel I'll do well, and I'm looking forward to diving up at Hoods Canal and Octopus Hole.

danceswithoctopus once bubbled.

dotyj,

You're not really that far away in Vancouver.

It sounds like you have things under control. I'm sure that everything will go well for you. Enjoy the class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom