USCG respect for dive flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florida Law states

(6) Any vessel other than a law enforcement or rescue vessel that approaches within 100 feet of a divers-down flag on a river, inlet, or navigation channel, or within 300 feet of a divers-down flag on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel, must proceed no faster than is necessary to maintain headway and steerageway.

It doesn't say that any boat has to stay away from a dive flag, just that they have to approach it slowly. The way the law is stated it sounds like law enforcement is not required to even approach it slowly.

Dennis has stated the law the way I understand it. I understand and agree with it. I would like people to make note also of the 100 ft vs. 300 ft part. However, how can we enforce the law when I've watched three different dive boats, local to the Pompano area, transitting back to the dock with all their flags flying.

I believe most states now recognize the diver down flag, but they set the rules for how they wish to use and enforce it.

The alpha flag itself is not a replacement for the diver down flag and does not serve the same purpose. It is designated for vessels involved in diving operations (or other operations), which restrict the vessel's ability to maneuver. It signals other boats, for example, that divers are physically connected by communication lines, air hosea, or the like. Other vessels should yield the right-of-way, thus protecting the vessel from collision. It does not apply to most instances of sport diving where the divers are swimming free of the vessel.

It is perfectly acceptable to fly both flags for added safety, but it should not replace the red flag while you are free and in the water.

Florida Law states

(6) Any vessel other than a law enforcement or rescue vessel that approaches within 100 feet of a divers-down flag on a river, inlet, or navigation channel, or within 300 feet of a divers-down flag on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel, must proceed no faster than is necessary to maintain headway and steerageway.

It doesn't say that any boat has to stay away from a dive flag, just that they have to approach it slowly. The way the law is stated it sounds like law enforcement is not required to even approach it slowly.

Dennis has stated the law the way I understand it. I understand and agree with it. I would like people to make note also of the 100 ft vs. 300 ft part. However, how can we enforce the law when I've watched three different dive boats, local to the Pompano area, transitting back to the dock with all their flags flying.

One thing to note, Dennis stated FLORIDA LAW. the OP was on the St Lawrence River, which isn't exactly in Florida.

Most likely it would be New York state law that applied, depending on where they were.

Not sure if the coast guard has a legal federal law that overrides that. I've not seen one. (hopefully someone who has can post it).

321382_com_st.lawrence.gif

Does anyone know, hopefully someone in the Coast Guard know what the current regulation for a USCG boat approaching a boat with a dive flag up and divers in the water. We where diving in the St Lawrence river this weekend and had 5 divers in the water and a USCG boat pulled up with engines running to inform us we where next to the channel. I find it hard to believe that they do not have keep a safe distance like everyone else does.

Thanks
Kevin

It's the US Coast Guard, they can pull up, board you, point guns at you, tell you to put your hands on your head, sit down and take your boat apart with a power screwdriver while you watch. They don't have to put it back together. They can pretty much do anything they want on the water. If they want to come over to your boat, they will come over to your boat, dive flag or not.

Back
Top Bottom