USD Calypso 1st Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green Frog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is what happens when I’m at home on Friday afternoon and have nothing to do!

I saw pictures on everybody’s favorite auction site offering early single hose Aqualung/USD regulators such as the Calypso of various iterations. Am I correct to assume that these 1st stage units that have a horizontal body (90 degrees from the tank connection. Am I correct in assuming that these operated on an unbalanced piston design? Some were kinda interesting, including one that seemed to have a HP mount coming off at an odd angle and another that seemed to be equipped as a J-valve. Finally the very latest ones had a fitting to mount at least 3 LP hoses.

is anybody still diving any versions of this 1st stage? Am I correct thinking that it is an unbalanced piston design? Finally, what are they like to service (or is that even possible?) I guess I’ve gotta find some useful pastimes to keep me from chasing Aqua Lung rabbits!

TIA ~ 🐸

I have a couple of Calypso IV's that I've rebuilt. Great regs. Pretty sure they are balanced piston but it has been a while so happy to be corrected. The one thing to remember about those regs is that there was a recall on the 1st stage in the mid-1970's. US Divers retrofitted in a castellated-bushing to, as I recall, retain the seat in place better. The service technician was supposed to strike a mark in the chrome of the yoke up near the knob to indicate that it had been retrofitted. My IV that I bought new in the 70's always worked fine but both of mine are now retrofitted per the recall. My 2psi. M

The Calypso IV and the Calypso III and all of the Calypso J were all balanced flow through pistons.

They are very easy to service, but finding the part for the retrofit mentioned by @Scuba Lawyer may be hard (if it need it). It is probably not too hard to make one if you have a sample.

There was an earlier Calypso that was a balanced diaphragm. The shape is very different from the later balanced piston regulators, but it also sit across the front of the tank valve.

Thanks for the responses so far. I’m still wondering whether I misinterpreted the picture that looked like it had a J-valve on the end opposite where the LP ports are located. Is this a thing? Does it work?
🐸

Thanks for the responses so far. I’m still wondering whether I misinterpreted the picture that looked like it had a J-valve on the end opposite where the LP ports are located. Is this a thing? Does it work?
🐸
The Calypso J does. I have one on my "needs to be rebuilt" shelf, but I haven't opened it up yet. I know @John C. Ratliff has and occasionally still uses a Calypso J.

Respectfully,

James

Photo please of the regulator.
IMG_20230916_135145.jpg
IMG_20230916_135225_2.jpg

I may have every part required to service that.

Deleted, went overboard with photos of spare parts for these.
2 9mm amo boxes of parts.

20201010_084745.jpg

They work, IP 9 Bar .

Back
Top Bottom