USD Calypso 1st Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Calypso J does. I have one on my "needs to be rebuilt" shelf, but I haven't opened it up yet. I know @John C. Ratliff has and occasionally still uses a Calypso J.

Respectfully,

James
I also have an original Calypso, which is set up on a long hose, along with the second generation Calypso as a safe second. I occasionally use this combo, and would enjoy using it for those who require a long hose. They are both dive ready. :wink:

My Calypso-J is upstairs, in my bedroom. I had some training that house fires sometimes precluded going downstairs if the fire was in the living space and there was a lot of smoke. So my Calypso-J is on a single 72, along with my Sportsways Sport Diver on a second single 72, to give my wife and me some breathing ability in a fire situation, while we deployed the emergency First Alert chain ladder out of the window. We both also have masks upstairs.

SeaRat

Attachments

• PGWR0uBARuCbGv3yGEmw7w_thumb_6f.jpg
    PGWR0uBARuCbGv3yGEmw7w_thumb_6f.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 45
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_72.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_72.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 47
The knife edge was pretty beat up when I got it.
What does the knife edge look like, can you do a closeup photo?
Some can be fixed, if it can be fixed, someone on here has done it.
Also, there is sure to be someone in the US that will have a stash of parts like mine who may help.
Good luck.

Which Calypso?
It is a Calypso VI. New balance chamber, new seat. IP drifts up after a about 15 min. Have adjusted shim stack. Same result. The piston had several nick's that I have polished out with micromesh, but the damage was not slight. Getting it back to a nice edge may not be possible IMO. Was wanting to find a NOS piston to check my theories.

I do not have a NOS piston but I may have one that is okay. I would need a picture of your old piston to see if it is what I have.

I do not have a NOS piston but I may have one that is okay. I would need a picture of your old piston to see if it is what I have.
I appreciate the offer. I think I owe it one more polishing session before I switch tactics. I think my knife edge is just not there yet. Have been going slow with the different grits of micromesh. It has improved since I started. If I can't it get right I might take you up on your offer. Now it's a challenge. Thanks

With a little more polishing in the piston knife edge I know have an initial IP of 110 psi with a drift up to 127 psi in 20 minutes and then seems to lock up. Improvement for sure. Leave it alone?

How much have you cycled it? You may get a better result once the seat is mated to the orifice edge.

It has been cycled quite a bit between polishing the piston, reassemble, test. I think I need to resurface the seat after the next go round with the piston edge and check the results. I have removed and replaced the piston 6 times working on the knife edge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom