use a snorkel? and how to dump air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I attached a snorkle to my BP for the "lost at sea" scenario. It can easily be retrieved in the water, but not reattached. I carry it while boat diving. I also added a SP snorkle attachment clip to a pocket if I need a snorkle for shore dive surface swims. But storing a snorkle on a mask is just a PITA. If that were the only option, I'd probably take my chances withoput it also.

I agree. The use of a snorkel is a personal thing.

I suppose that having worked in an environment where I was called out many times looking for missing divers/dive boats I have taken an approach where more is better.

As BSAC divers both you and I will have seen some of the older, experienced divers taking their snorkels with them strapped to their knife legs. They obviously feel that a snorkel is of some use. The problem is also solved with overcrowding in the BC pocket department.

Just as an aside, you might light to have a look at the following for some research made into the use of surface aids - it makes interesting reading:

www.jeanelaine.co.uk\diveraids\contents.htm

Snorkel's have their place and normally it is at the bottom of the gear bag. Actually, I have a roll up one as well unless I am working with a class. If I am working with a class, I use one and don't care as I won't be doing anything through swim-thoughs, inside wrecks, and the like anyways. In my Advanced Nitrox course, that was one of the first things that the instructor made us "streamline" by either removing it entirely or tucking it somewhere in our rig.

Oh, BTW, when I dive a Backplate and Wing, the tendency until I can get squarely on my back is to force my face into the water from a neutral position. I just make sure to get on my back quickly after hitting the water in that case. My BC tends to hold my face out of the water if I am vertical at the surface. The couple of times that I have been in heavier seas, a snorkel would have been of little value, but at least mine is curved and has a guard to minimize the water inside of it from a wave.

Kev Martin once bubbled...
I agree. The use of a snorkel is a personal thing.
As BSAC divers both you and I will have seen some of the older, experienced divers taking their snorkels with them strapped to their knife legs. They obviously feel that a snorkel is of some use. The problem is also solved with overcrowding in the BC pocket department.

Interestingly i dont tend to see that. Admittedly we dont dive charter much, instead using our own RIBs but the people from our club (ages ranging from 20 ish to mid 60s) ive not seen one of them take a snorkel even strapped to them and the other club divers we see most weekends they arent there either. The only divers ive seen with a snorkel were the times we;ve have to share a charter and i have no idea what agency they were. Maybe its a club thing though, if the experienced dont wear them, the beginners done whereas if an old respected diver does, others will copy. Who knows.

Just as an aside, you might light to have a look at the following for some research made into the use of surface aids - it makes interesting reading:

www.jeanelaine.co.uk\diveraids\contents.htm [/B]

Id seen that before and gave some interesting reading and backed up what a coastguard friend of mine was saying about different equipment. I do feel in the UK it pays to have several methods as you can often go through 4 seasons of weather in 2 hours and so on. Ive surfaced at 1pm and found it near darkness but at other times ive gone down like that to surface in blue sky. You can never tell. At the moment i carry my DSMB, small SL6 torch (buying a bigger primary this weekend hopefully) and thats it. As said, im buying a strobe as well.
Ive seen the folding flags used and they are definately easy to see even in big seas - a very good idea. Im not certain i could stow the thing anywhere at the moment though.

The only time ive seen other groups of people using a signal aid in anger was a load jumped off a boat for a dive with a fair drift on and not one carried a SMB or DSMB (8 divers. lunatics maybe). When they surfaced and found themselves going around a corner from the boat some 20ft from rocks with waves breaking they resorted to removing their fins and waving them frantically. It sort of worked, we saw it and signalled to their boat.

OK, let me try this one. A snorkel my not seem like a safety device but there are times when it is needed. Some of these are: surface swims while using a compass (try that on your back), looking for something or someone while your on the surface, tired diver fin push or just saving on air while you are finning up in the water. Most of the newer models have built in water guards or dumps that will prevent almost all water from making it to the diver's mouth. Don't forget that it can also be used to keep an airway open while performing rescue breaths. As for me.....it's with me on every dive and has never gotten in the way other than once ot twice hitting the ceiling of the cave.

About the dumping of air from the BC. A lot of new divers don't know that there is a rapid dump valve built onto the end of most corrugated hoses. By using this dump, one only needs to pull the end of the corrugated hose and an internal cable attached to the valve will open it. No need to hold the inflator hose up in the air as while on the surfact the rapid dump is usually the highest point.

Ryukyu-diver once bubbled...
OK, let me try this one. A snorkel my not seem like a safety device but there are times when it is needed. Some of these are: surface swims while using a compass (try that on your back),

I do a fair number of surface swims with a compass if its too hard to take a boat in close. Snorkel is definately not needed for that.

looking for something or someone while your on the surface,

You mean looking down? In 2-3m vis that isnt an issue as you really cant see them.

tired diver fin push or just saving on air while you are finning up in the water.

Again there are plenty of ways of moving a tired diver without a snorkel, my usual technique is to use the pillar valve or BC strap, snorkel not needed for that.

Most of the newer models have built in water guards or dumps that will prevent almost all water from making it to the diver's mouth.

If the mouth is well clear of the water its not needed. If the sea is very rough not even a snorkel can extract oxygen from water when its IN a wave.

Don't forget that it can also be used to keep an airway open while performing rescue breaths.

There are other methods which we train for that perform that task quite adequately.

String, let me say that I was only putting some light on the subject at hand and was giving some reasons that a snorkel could make task easier or needed.

I do a fair number of surface swims with a compass if its too hard to take a boat in close. Snorkel is definately not needed for that.

Yes you could do that but, is it not easier with a snorkel vice having to keep stoping and getting another breath of air.

You mean looking down? In 2-3m vis that isnt an issue as you really cant see them.

Not so true in a lot of places people dive. I did most of my dives in Okinawa and vis can and often does reach over 90'. Ask anyone who has dived at Horse shoe.

Again there are plenty of ways of moving a tired diver without a snorkel, my usual technique is to use the pillar valve or BC strap, snorkel not needed for that.

Have you ever tried to keep an eye on someone who you had to assist while trying to keep an eye on your exit while in the surf? With a tank tow you have your back to the exit and usually you will do some extra swimming due to currents pushing you off your mark. Don't forget that being able to look at a victim and keeping an eye on them will enable you to react fasted in the event that they start to panic.

There are other methods which we train for that perform that task quite adequately.

Yes there are other methods but, I would more than likely be right in saying that most divers don't carrie a pocket mask. Giving rescue breaths in even two inch shore pound still get water in the victims mouth. I know because I have been the training victim way too many times for numerous rescue classes.

In summary, yes there are ways around not having one but, it really makes things easier in the long run. Since you never really gave a reason for carring one, drag is the only reason I can see for not having one attached to the mask but, that is where the folding ones come into play.

Back
Top Bottom