Used Coltri MCH6 or new Bauer PE100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pops33

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I’m a new certified diver and want to purchase an electric compressor for personal use.
I can get a used 2020 Coltri Mch6 for $2000 cad with 111 hours. Other option is a new Bauer pe-100 for $6700 + taxes Cad. I was leaning towards the Bauer because of quality but at $2000 the Coltri is hard to pass by.
I read some negatives about the Coltri where moisture gets in the 4th stage.

Thoughts,
Thank you

Hello,
I’m a new certified diver and want to purchase an electric compressor for personal use.
I can get a used 2020 Coltri Mch6 for $2000 cad with 111 hours. Other option is a new Bauer pe-100 for $6700 + taxes Cad. I was leaning towards the Bauer because of quality but at $2000 the Coltri is hard to pass by.
I read some negatives about the Coltri where moisture gets in the 4th stage.

Thoughts,
Thank you

The Bauer unit will undoubtedly last longer and perform better over time, but don't rule out the Coltri system. I have a Coltri MCH-6 and have been very happy with it's performance. You can pretty much eliminate the 4th stage water/rust issue by ensuring the unit is run up to pressure on a frequent basis. For me I have a set reminder on my calendar to run the unit at pressure for at least 5 min each month. This usually isn't an issue in the summer but my compressor sits idle for most of the winter. Another complain on the MCH-6 is the short lifespan of the somewhat pricey filters. I purchased a repackable cartridge built specifically for the MCH-6. This makes replacing the filter quick and much cheaper.

Thank you,
The Coltri has been in the guys basement for about a year or two without running.
Should I be concerned if he didn’t run it for 5 minutes every month.
Also if I want to test it how would I know if the 4th stage has/had moisture or has a problem. Maybe try to fill a tank?
Thank you

Thank you,
The Coltri has been in the guys basement for about a year or two without running.
Should I be concerned if he didn’t run it for 5 minutes every month.
Also if I want to test it how would I know if the 4th stage has/had moisture or has a problem. Maybe try to fill a tank?
Thank you

If it comes to full pressure then it’s probably ok. I’d try turning the compressor by hand and see if it sticks. If the 4th stage is rusted, you’ll know.

Got myself a Bauer Junior 2 and couldn't be happier. Easy to find parts, stellar manuals, quality build, and great customer service. I bought my used and put about $500 in parts in it. Now I have a basically lifetime compressor. I was in your shoes. If you are serious, get the Bauer. If this hobby might not last for you, get the Bauer. At least there will always be a buyer for a used Bauer

Thank you both for your input,
I might go for the Coltri because of the price($2000). I told the seller I’d take it to the LDS( which is 4 hour drive) to have it serviced(oil, filters, belt change which I’ll pay for) and if there’s any repairs with regards to the unit I’ll deduct from the $2000. He agreed.
I’m waiting for the LDS to call back if he has the parts to service it in stock(oil and filters).
The Bauer after taxes will cost me around $7500. Plus I have to drive 8 hours each way to pick it up. I can do a lot of repairs on the Coltri if needed for the difference in cost.

Thank you both for your input,
I might go for the Coltri because of the price($2000). I told the seller I’d take it to the LDS( which is 4 hour drive) to have it serviced(oil, filters, belt change which I’ll pay for) and if there’s any repairs with regards to the unit I’ll deduct from the $2000. He agreed.
I’m waiting for the LDS to call back if he has the parts to service it in stock(oil and filters).
The Bauer after taxes will cost me around $7500. Plus I have to drive 8 hours each way to pick it up. I can do a lot of repairs on the Coltri if needed for the difference in cost.
In my opinion, you can save the time/money and do that work yourself. You really need to learn this anyway as oil is done regularly and belts should be changed each year. Basic maintainence is really easy work to complete if you are even remotely handy with a wrench. Coltri has some wonderful DIY videos on their Youtube page for everything from changing oil and belts to replacing valves and piston rings. I've added links to the basic maintenance and playlist of all MCH-6 videos below. I'd suggest tanking time to go through all of their videos for other information and background on this unit. I found them very informative and helpful to better understand the compressor. Good luck!!

Basic Maintenance:

Playlist of all MCH-6 DIY Videos:

Thank you again zider,
I know my away around wrenches and basic mechanic. I do my own maintenance on my mower, snowblower, tractor, atv, boat, etc… so with those videos I should be able to maintain the Coltri.
Where did you get the repackable cartridge?
Thank you

I’m happy to help. Many folks on here have been very helpful to me and I’m just happy to return the favor.

I got the repackable filter from a shop in Germany. With shipping I think it was around $80, but at over $40 a filter for the disposable style it pays for itself quickly. If you buy one, do yourself a favor and buy a couple dozen of their felt pads for this cartridge. The pads I sourced locally here in the states are just a hair too small.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom