used compressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3ddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking at a used compressor and I am looking for some input. It is a Mako that has a 3 hp Briggs and a Purus compressor. The engine runs like a top and I am going to fill a tank to be sure it will pump to 3000 psi(not going to breathe the air until I send it in for a test.) The guy says he has a $ amount in mind but wants to know what its worth to me. I have no idea what these units are worth if it works fine. It is a 1977 model purchased 5-78. I dont know how many hours are on it but I know it hasnt been used in the last few years at all. I am not looking to fill a ton of tanks, just more of a convenience factor more than anything.

I'm sure other people will chime in, but that is a pretty old compressor, even for a Bauer. I'd call Bauer and make sure you can still get parts for it.

Unless the number he has in his head is three digits, and not a real big three digit number, I'd pass. But if you can't afford something a little newer right now, go for it. There really is nothing like filling your own tanks.

Dave

If the gas engine on that compressor is original then that would be a good indication as to whether the compressor is good. Typically small gas engines are not designed for huge numbers of hours and they will typically have problems after close to a thousand hours.

The purus should be good for several thousand hours, so if the engine is original and works well, there should be a reasonable amount of life left in the compressor.

If it pumps up to high pressure and the fill rate stays constant that is also a good indication the compressor is in reasonable shape.

Skippy31

that 30 years old
bauer give 20year life on the filter system Max
charging hoses have a max life 5 years
If it was me. fit a new filter system or get it hydro tested
spare parts are still fine for a bauer of 30
any chance of a photo?

$800 is the value. If the engine is original (see above) don't worry about the hours or the filters, especially the steel filter with end caps. If the compressor has an aluminum filter it would be necessary to determine which type. At 3000 psi, the PO type is good for 80,000 cycles. That being the case, don't bother to install a new one. There is another type of filter canister which was used around that time and I don't have any info on it. It was aluminum and more slender than the PO. Chances are that the compressor assembly has about 500 hours or less and the filter is good for another 500 at least. I mean, if the owner dumped three times/hour that is only 1500 cycles, nothing really.

I can get some pics but it might take a day or 2. I am not finding parts available for a Purus but you can get them for a Purus H. The filter tube looks like it is aluminum.

I have pics of the compressor. Let me DSC08022.JPG

DSC08023.JPG

DSC08024.JPG know what you think.

I have a very similar Mako/Buaer Purus 1978 model that I bought about 4 years ago, the only big difference is mine is mounted in a crash frame, and has a newer fill whip, and Honda 4HP engine. Filter cartridges are still available to fit the unit (I have bought a modern P21 filter to add to my unit, cost around $450, I wanted to keep it portable ). The Purus is not the best compressor Bauer ever built, but is probably not the worst either, parts are still available (who knows for how much longer, and some are rather pricey, a replacement plastic fan shroud is over $300), and if the price is right I see no reason not to buy it. One consideration is the safety blowoff is factory set to 3400 psi, which limits your options on filling tanks when it comes to HP steel, of course short filling them by 50 psi is not likely to be a big issue. (or you could adjust the safety blow off, probably not a good idea on a 30 year old compressor)

Ike

p.s. one thing to be aware of the Purus weighs a lot more than more modern small compressors and the fill rate is only 3.4 , CFM, it can be handled by one strong man, but is much easier to be carried by two. I am not sure exactly how much mine weighs in the crash frame, but if I were guessing I would put the total around 140 pounds.

Thanks for photos
Dont think much of the filter system a very small cart is fitted
unit looks fine for its age
as for the filling hose with all the adaptors & bits.
you can still get all the parts for this old block from bauer

I have a similar filter on one of my compressors. It has a tiny cartridge inside, which is totally inadequate by today's standards, even if you change the damn thing every day. If you buy this compressor, count on spending $400 to $1200 for a new media stack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom