Used pickup truck for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any advice on what to look for in a used pickup truck for diving?
  • I don't need 4WD, but I also don't want it to be low to the ground like a car.
  • Need a smaller truck for sure. I live in a big city and a big truck will be too hard to park.
  • Need a locking bed cover
  • Prefer 2 doors with extended cab
  • Prefer seat material that can get wet
  • Prefer American brands, but I sure like the Toyota Tacoma
  • $15,000 budget

Any advice on what to look for in a used pickup truck for diving?
  • I don't need 4WD, but I also don't want it to be low to the ground like a car.
  • Need a smaller truck for sure. I live in a big city and a big truck will be too hard to park.
  • Need a locking bed cover
  • Prefer 2 doors with extended cab
  • Prefer seat material that can get wet
  • Prefer American brands, but I sure like the Toyota Tacoma
  • $15,000 budget

I have a Chrysler Pacifica with the fold down seats and a heavy duty liner in the back. It's not a pickup, but it sure is nice. I don't think you'll find one within your budget, but I think it's awesome for diving. Chrysler also has the T&C that would be within your budget.

You can get a Honda Ridgeline ~ 2014 or so with your budget. I always thought they would make nice dive vehicle with the "barn door" style tailgate and the trunk. All the seats fold down in the back for more gear. It's 4 door though and not American (but neither is American anymore either:)).

There is a Toyota tax. You pay more than they are worth, but can often get that back when you sell. Unless you get one that is attacked with the tin worm, rust will kill anything.

$15k budget won't get you much these days. Pile of junk that moves will run you $10k. Add a little to the budget (and if you can find one) a Brand NEW Maverick starts at only $20k.

Pretty happy with my Ford Ranger Edge. 2003 so older but has been extremely reliable for the past 8 years. Edge in this vintage means a 2x4 truck on a 4x4 chassis. Sits higher and is better built in terms of suspension than a standard Ranger. Good luck finding any decent used pickups right now. I paid $3,000 (CAD) for this one 8 years ago (wholesale from a dealer as it needed suspension work). I could sell it into this market for $10,000. (CAD) Ridiculous when as someone said a new Maverick goes for $20,000 USD or roughly 27,000 CAD. Sadly they just don’t make small pickups any more. This was the smallest one I could find (two door, short box) and nobody makes anything comparable today. Everyone wants all the bells and whistles and giant vehicles.

If you are looking at older Rangers which is what your budget will get you pay close attention to the transmission if you go manual - they are notoriously weak. They work but if abused the synchro’s will fail.

Windows will get smashed where I live.
Reminds me of a place my son lived while over seas; take EVERYTHING out of the car (including insurance papers etc), leave the doors unlocked so the windows won't get broken, then nothing to steal and they don't damage the interior (at least not in the 3 years he was there).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom