Used pickup truck for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an SUV, but if/when I buy another vehicle aimed at diving, I think I'd get a pickup truck with a shell/topper.

I have an SUV, but if/when I buy another vehicle aimed at diving, I think I'd get a pickup truck with a shell/topper.

Why? I am debating a pickup truck with a topper or a big SUV. I'd like to know your reasons please.

Americans, or even Libyans, don't worry about that at all. That's for you, the Euros, to worry about.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you've a massive price hike coming your way courtesy of Vlad the Invader -- akin to the '74 Arab oil shock

Why? I am debating a pickup truck with a topper or a big SUV. I'd like to know your reasons please.

Pickup will topper is better than SUV in my opinion. The back of a pickup is more durable and you can hose it out or whatever, you still need to be somewhat careful with what your doing in an SUV. Also, nice mats like weathertech in an SUV still only cover the back half with the seats down.

Con is that a pickup cap is less secure than an SUV and pick ups are way too much money since everyone wants the to look cool these days.

For $5k more, you can get a brand new Maverick that ticks all of your boxes with no to low interest.

You must live in the hood. You think a locked truck bed is going to stop them?

Yes and no ... the issue is typically out of site out of mind. If the perps can see something they will smash and grab. So it really depends on what is over the bed and what can be seen. But even then I am not 100% on bed covers. Even with a shell on my pickups I put stuff in cab as shells are easy to break into.

For OP I would look to see if you can find a vehicle with a cargo cover. It may be more practical.

But then you have to turn in your man card for driving a van.

Full size vans (with a V8) are still man eligable.
It is the mini-van that you have to turn in your card.

LOL.. our minivan is multipurpose, gets an easy 25mpg with gear, and is a makeshift camper if need be complete with TVs and full panoramic sunroof.

No chrome on the thing and I can haul 32 sheets of plywood with the rear door closed....pretty good deal all around. Maybe not the most "manly" thing, but damn is it practical and comfortable (or I'm just getting older!).

Does it help that my daily driver has 18 gears and an air horn?:wink: I'd really like my card back please, lol.

Attachments

• 2018-Chrysler-Pacifica-S-103-1-626x383.jpg
    2018-Chrysler-Pacifica-S-103-1-626x383.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 63
Check out Wet Okole or similar for neoprene seat covers. Floor mats with lots of coverage that trap the water are key too. Still working on my F150 dive truck, next steps are tank holders and a rack-mounted shower.

The used truck market is tough on the buyer side right now, recommend waiting if you can. If a minivan is possible, the Siena AWD models are nice, with tons more cargo room than you’d expect.

Lance

I always thought a transit connect would be nice. Small but very tall inside... could easily be a change room as well...
Maybe need airbags in the coil springs...
It would get good mileage, and can be a mini sprinter.
A work vehicle will not have to many window....
280px-Ford_Transit_Connect_--_08-25-2009.jpg

You may have hit on part of it where you said "big" SUV. Mine is medium-sized (Toyota 4Runner), and it's just slightly too small to comfortably fit two sets of doubles and gear, especially for a multi-day trip. If/when I start bringing stage and deco tanks, it's going to be a problem. If I were outside the US, I would probably get a Hilux instead. The other reason I would prefer a pickup truck is that I simply never use the rear seats of my SUV; they are always folded away so as to maximize the cargo area. It's a wasted feature. Another reason I would prefer a pickup truck is the wear and tear that sliding the tanks in and out causes in my SUV cargo area, which is carpeted. I have the cargo area covered with a heavy-duty tarp, and I still have to replace it too frequently as it gets chewed up. Lastly, my diving is freshwater, but if I were diving saltwater I would prefer a truck bed that I could more easily wash out.
Check out Wet Okole or similar for neoprene seat covers. Floor mats with lots of coverage that trap the water are key too.
+1 for Wet Okole and deep rubber floor mats.

Back
Top Bottom