Used pickup truck for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I originally thought about getting one of those small Ford Transits since I've seen a lot of people outfit them for diving. They are definitely nicer for city driving but I feel like I would be hitting the payload capacity pretty easily with 2 divers with all the amount of stuff I bring to Florida and the Great Lakes, plus I can't easily gear up inside them.

The RAM Promaster 1500 I have has a ~3900-4000lb payload capacity. I've got the 118" short wheel base and low roof version. It's actually not bad for city traveling and has a really good turning radius. My wife and I can stand up inside but we're both on the shorter side.

My next one will be the taller roof version so I can build in more shelving and a stand-up style bench for doubles on one side. I'm going to do a partial RV type conversion with shore power and a removeable sleeping platform. Right now it's just got a small battery to run LED lights and fans but I'd eventually like something so I can plug in via shore power with an inverter and a large battery bank to run chargers for lights, scooters, small refrigerator, etc.

My ghetto version right now is to run a heavy gauge extension cord out to my van which I run a small dehumidifer at night so everything dries out better.

I have a 1998 Mazda B4000 (like an old ford ranger) it has a camper top and almost 200K miles. I had it shipped to the island cause I didn't think I could find anything like for the money. When it dies I'll be looking at a sprinter or transit. The Maverick does look good at the price. I wonder if they'll come out with an electric version. Living on the island I don't have far to drive and all the solar power I could want or need.

Back
Top Bottom