used regs `Warranty `

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

techy:
Sideband,
So you are saying that you would buy some reg not knowing if the person that is selling it is giving you proper information and take it in to get serviced and find out it is going to cost the say amount as buying a new one. any dive shop should test a reg right when it is sold just to double check the manufacturer. I guess i am just confused on your point???????
I can check the cost of a rebuild kit for a reg before I buy it. That will tell me exactly how much I'm going to pay unless the reg is really misrepresented and has cracks in the housing or stripped threads.

Joe

techy:
lead_carrier

there are some dive shops that do charge more for labor for people that have used gear to get them to purchase new gear instead to help the LDS market and not the other locations since there are many LDS shops closing.....

IMHO, this sort of practice will ONLY result in those LDS shops closing faster and faster. As the Scottish would say of this business practice - ITS CRAP! :D

Buying used dive gear is really not all that diferent from buying a used car or anything else. You are taking a chance that there may be some hidden flaw that makes it unusable. Of course this is why you pay less for used than you do for new. Now some regs have less of a warranty than other, or rather not all manufacturers provide free parts for life with the purchase of a new reg. IF that is the case I probably would look at used gear to save a few bucks. However, in the case of of something like a ScubaPro reg, the parts are expensive enough to quickly make up difference on price between a used reg, a new one from an LDS, or a new one bought on-line.

In the end I would investigate the cost of servicing either reg before I bought them.

cstreu1026:
Buying used dive gear is really not all that diferent from buying a used car or anything else. You are taking a chance that there may be some hidden flaw that makes it unusable. Of course this is why you pay less for used than you do for new. Now some regs have less of a warranty than other, or rather not all manufacturers provide free parts for life with the purchase of a new reg. IF that is the case I probably would look at used gear to save a few bucks. However, in the case of of something like a ScubaPro reg, the parts are expensive enough to quickly make up difference on price between a used reg, a new one from an LDS, or a new one bought on-line.

In the end I would investigate the cost of servicing either reg before I bought them.

Depends how you run your numbers. SP parts are not that expensive. For example, Parts for a Mk25, S600, R380 should run under $40 at MSRP (Dealer cost under $20). But the labor charge for that service will run around $75.

If you intend to keep the rig for some time, and you plan to service annually to maintain the warrenty and the parts-for-life agreement, then it only makes sense to buy from an authorized dealer. If you do not intend to keep that rig for more than a couple years or plan to not service it annually, then it may be better to go for the up front savings off of MSRP.

If you can find an authorized dealer who is willing to sweeten the deal with the authorized 10% discount and other incentives, used or grey market goods may still not be the best buy.

Don't let the hype influence your decision too much. Look at all the costs and benefits and decide what is best for you.

Good advice awap.

For myself, I didn't pay MSRP and I pay $45 to get my Mk25/S600/R380 serviced annually. I know they charge more like $80 for labor if its not under warranty and thats on top of the parts.

Back
Top Bottom