User replaceable battery vs rechargeable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cuter81

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I hear a lot of complaints about rechargeable batteries. I'm inclined to make user replaceable battery a high priority in my search for a computer...thoughts?

The complaints on rechargeable are somewhat over blown, the Teric probably did more to damage the concept than any other computer out there but since Shearwater is so good it really wasn’t a big problem in reality and the issue is mostly resolved.

ive recently broken away from shearwater and I’m trying a few scubapro computers, a HUD and picked up a used G2 for a back up, both are rechargeable, I don’t worry about it but I do tend to keep a portable battery pack and a charging cord in a dry bag just to be sure I can keep going.

user replaceable has its draw backs too since you can run the risk of flooding unless you really know your o-ring and have a spare handy if you see damage. Most worried about issues are more in the possible camp than the probable one.

Either is just fine.

Without a doubt rechargeable is easier to deal with most of the time. Nothing to open up. Just hook up the charger and you are good. The batteries, however, have a finite life. Eventually, they will need to be replaced. In the ones I'm familiar with, that's a service center task. Probably not needed for many years, but just something to consider.

With user replaceable, take a look at how it's done. I've got 4 DCs with user replaceable batteries at home. While the Oceanics aren't particularly hard, it's a job I much prefer to do at home. In a pinch, I could do it on the boat, but I run the risk of losing the little retaining strap for the battery. With these, there are 5 components to the change: Battery, battery retainer, o-ring, cover, cover retaining ring. Contrast that with the Shearwater Perdix which has fewer parts, and nothing that's likely to get lost. I could easily do this on the boat. Part count is reduced: Battery, o-rings (2), and cap. O-rings are also retained quite a bit better on the Perdix battery cap, so they aren't likely to come loose unexpectedly.

For the record, I have both. Perdix and Oceanics (user replaceable) and Garmin MK2s (rechargeable). I don't have any concerns with either method.

To me, it depends on more than just rechargeable vs user-replaceable.

Rechargeable:

- can charge from any standard wireless cell phone (i.e. Qi) charger
- can dive with it for a week (2 dives per day) between charges

If it meets those, then yes. If it takes a special/propietary cable or connector to charge, then no. If it has to be charged after 2 or 3 days of diving, then no.

This is why I have and like two of the Shearwater Teric computers. I just did 12 dives in Cozumel with one of my Terics. The battery was charged to full over a week before I left, I was there for a week, and I've been home just over a week. I never charged it (still haven't). Screen brightness was on High. AI and compass were turned off. The battery is still at 54%.

My other Teric went on 6 of the dives in Cozumel. Also on High, no AI or compass. It is definitely in need of being sent off for a battery replacement. I charged it to Full 2 days before I left. I haven't charged it since. It is now at 26%. Even a Teric with a "bad" battery is still really darn good.

User replaceable:

One like the Shearwater Perdix uses (i.e. AA), yes. They are easy to change, with a low risk of losing parts or damaging an O-ring while changing.

One that uses a coin-style watch battery, still yes, but I like it less. Those can be fiddly to change and seem easier to mess up the O-ring and end up flooding. But, the battery usually lasts at least a year, so still acceptable.

I actually flooded a Shearwater Predator through the battery door once. I've never flooded a Teric....

One like the Shearwater Perdix uses (i.e. AA), yes. They are easy to change, with a low risk of losing parts or damaging an O-ring while changing.
Well, you know me--Mr. Technophobe. I like the reassuring feeling I can use any of a variety of types of AA batteries, including the cheap alkalines that can be found in even the remote corners of the world. I'd rather not rely on having to charge anything from a wall outlet (or via USB from some other thing that has to be charged from a wall outlet). If I could be certain it--whether that's a dive computer or a phone or whatever--would not lose its charge when I need to rely on it, I'd feel differently. My Shearwater Petrel is about 10 years old and has never had to be sent off for anything. "Battery replacement"--no thanks.

Well, you know me--Mr. Technophobe. I like the reassuring feeling I can use any of a variety of types of AA batteries, including the cheap alkalines that can be found in even the remote corners of the world. I'd rather not rely on having to charge anything from a wall outlet (or via USB from some other thing that has to be charged from a wall outlet). If I could be certain it--whether that's a dive computer or a phone or whatever--would not lose its charge when I need to rely on it, I'd feel differently. My Shearwater Petrel is about 10 years old and has never had to be sent off for anything. "Battery replacement"--no thanks.

I was told in the past that the Petrel is supposed to be serviced every 5 years. I think it might be different now with the newer computers. They need O-rings replaced periodically. Also, the lexan (polycarbonate) screens on those older Shearwaters will be damaged by some common types of sunscreen. It becomes brittle and can then just crack at a very inconvenient time.

Also, as I said above, I have never missed a single dive because of my Terics. But, I have missed dives because of flooding my Predator through the battery compartment and having to send it for repair.

I have a solar battery bank with a built-in wireless Qi charging pad. It is a little bigger and thicker than the case my passport lives in. It will charge the Teric - even in locations where you can't buy a AA battery...

As far as being certain your computer won't suddenly and unexpectedly lose its charge, I don't see that risk being any different for a Petrel or a Teric. Even the "bad" Teric batteries (of which I've had about 6, so far, between my 2 Terics) don't just suddenly lose their charge.

They also don't leak and ruin the computer from the inside like an alkaline can.

In other words, I don't see either one as inherently better than the other. You choose your tradeoffs. But, if there is one that is more prone to dying suddenly, it's the Petrel - from flooding or a battery leak.

My Shearwater Petrel is about 10 years old and has never had to be sent off for anything. "Battery replacement"--no thanks.

Sending your computer back to change rechargeable battery and service every 8 - 10 years is no big deal at all. No flooding or service issues due to battery change mistakes.

As far as being certain your computer won't suddenly and unexpectedly lose its charge, I don't see that risk being any different for a Petrel or a Teric. Even the "bad" Teric batteries (of which I've had about 6, so far, between my 2 Terics) don't just suddenly lose their charge.

They also don't leak and ruin the computer from the inside like an alkaline can.

In other words, I don't see either one as inherently better than the other. You choose your tradeoffs. But, if there is one that is more prone to dying suddenly, it's the Petrel - from flooding or a battery leak.
Rechargeable devices may not "suddenly" lose their charge, but you do have to keep on top of them so you can be sure that if you need to recharge them you know there will be a place to do it and some time to do it. If I see my replaceable battery having only half its charge remaining, I can simply replace it in the field when I have a few minutes in a dry location. (Yes, you do have to be careful to seat the battery compartment cover correctly as you screw it in.)

I can change o-rings myself. I would only resort to a leak-prone alkaline in a pinch--if I were literally in some remote corner of the world that didn't have those fancy Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAs that Shearwater now recommends. If I bring a spare one of those, I should be all set for diving for weeks. If I store the computer for months, I'll remove the battery anyway.

I haven't heard of a computer having a recommended service interval of 5 years or whatever, but it wouldn't surprise me. Mine is 10 years old, and I know it will die sometime--maybe even in the middle of a dive--and then I will replace it, having gotten many years out of it.

All that said, I do agree it's about tradeoffs. Rechargeables would be nicer if I didn't have to think so much about recharging them. The technology will get there soon enough--just not yet.

Sending your computer back to change rechargeable battery and service every 8 - 10 years is no big deal at all. No flooding or service issues due to battery change mistakes.

Maybe if it's a Shearwater. Often enough you won't find a battery for a 10yo device, or you won't find it at a reasonable price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom