Using a line reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw these reels at a dive shop,but they were busy,never got to ask anyone. Im going to be teaching wife to captain boat in future. Just trying to plan for the unexpected .Thanks.

I suggest taking a wreck course if you are going to dive off Jersey especially. You can do the training over at Dutch Springs (controlled environment ). I suggest calling the scuba connection TSCSCUBA Ask for Wayne or Jason.

They will cover reel skills/protocol, gas planning, lift bags and SMB use, etc.

I cover line use for navigation in my AOW class and in the UW Nav class I wrote. A reel is a tool, a damn good one. Using it is not rocket science but having some instruction can help one get comfortable with it a bit quicker.

Larry H PA,

Yes, a reel is good. Head directly into the current, if possible, when you start your dive on the wreck. Do not tie into the upline, tie in to something solid an arm's reach away. Take a compass reading of the upline when you stop to do your first tie-off, use cave wraps. Get the NSS Cavern Diving Manual, it all applies...

Yes, once in a while, if the visibility is very poor and there is little structure to follow such as a wreck hull or reef line. I would not, however, enter the water (unless you are within swimming distance of the shore) without a good boat driver on the surface, someone that can pull an anchor, operate GPS and radio, and handle emergencies. I solo dive a lot and have no problem with that but I insist on having someone on board that can do basic boat stuff.

Line in the water and not knowing how to use a reel can be a dangerous thing inc SMB launch. Loose line can cause entanglement. Be thoroughly taught and practiced in the use of reels, lines and SMBs before using in low viz situations.

Back
Top Bottom