using a pony bottle to extend bottom times?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

answer seems pretty clear to me... he said "we don't allow stages or doubles on recreational trips". It's not even an unreasonable rule.
I kind of wanted to see what HE says.
Maybe there are exceptions if kept way within the "recreational" context of depth and time.

the difference of slinging a 19 and a 40 in the water is pretty negligible. Carrying them out of the water is about an 8 pound difference. So, a 40 is a good tool for both jobs. Not to mention that it frees up money to buy more gear!
I know. I know. I do and have agreed that in the water it's a moot point. But I just like you guys to remember when you are making this recommendation that not all divers are created equal and for some of us vertically challenged divers that added size on land and the boat can be significant. Others, not so much.

And for others, another 130 dollars plus incidentals is insignificant compared to the convenience of a smaller pony.

I know. I know. I do and have agreed that in the water it's a moot point. But I just like you guys to remember when you are making this recommendation that not all divers are created equal and for some of us vertically challenged divers that added size on land and the boat can be significant. Others, not so much.

And for others, another 130 dollars plus incidentals is insignificant compared to the convenience of a smaller pony.

please let me know where I can get a pony setup for 130 dollars? Most setups I have seen (unless used) are in the 300-400 range?!?

The exact reason I got the 40cf was for what others stated...I will be hopefully moving into tech/deco dives in 2 years. Honestly the 40cf is the only thing I have slung and I have gotten quite used to it to the point I don't feel a difference under the water whether I use it or not. Out of the water is another story haha.

Good point, and appreciate the reminder about "vertically challenged divers". I was speaking from my experience (6' tall) and I generally use 80s for stages and never carry a pony :)

please let me know where I can get a pony setup for 130 dollars? Most setups I have seen (unless used) are in the 300-400 range?!?

The exact reason I got the 40cf was for what others stated...I will be hopefully moving into tech/deco dives in 2 years. Honestly the 40cf is the only thing I have slung and I have gotten quite used to it to the point I don't feel a difference under the water whether I use it or not. Out of the water is another story haha.

quick google search:
19 cu ft 3000psi Aluminium Scuba Diving Emergency Tank - Scuba Tanks : House of Scuba $120

you can use the same reg you use with your 40.

Catalina Pony Bottle Tanks, Yellow with Pro Valve

Or

Sherwood Aluminum 19cu. Ft | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

Just another example but best of all my LDS where I bought mine.

quick google search:
19 cu ft 3000psi Aluminium Scuba Diving Emergency Tank - Scuba Tanks : House of Scuba

you can use the same reg you use with your 40.

unfortunately I cant...everytime I drain my tank...the scuba shop charges 20 dollars for a visual inspection. So yes I could do it, but then if I wanted to swap back and forth id be screwed. I like the idea of 40cf for 80-100ft dives. I like the idea of 19cf for shallower so id want to eventually have both but for right now ill stick with the 40.

---------- Post added June 30th, 2015 at 04:05 PM ----------

Catalina Pony Bottle Tanks, Yellow with Pro Valve

Just another example but best of all my LDS where I bought mine.

I didn't mean just a tank but the whole setup.

For a person with high SAC rate how does a pair of 72s help him? Most boat dives are two drop/tank dives. Boats I have been on allow one set of doubles or two singles plus one pony. Some do but many boats do not have compressors. So the pair of 72s would give him lots of air for dive 1. He is then sitting on the boat fiddling his thumbs for dive 2 since he would probably have much less than 72 left for dive 2.

Good point, and appreciate the reminder about "vertically challenged divers". I was speaking from my experience (6' tall) and I generally use 80s for stages and never carry a pony :)
So there is almost a 13 cf pony bottle difference between us. :D

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom