Using different local dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, with one caveat. I will support any local shop that deserves my business. I'll do it with a smile.

As I've long said "I will be loyal to any LDS that is loyal to ME!"

Best regards,

Ray Purkis

As I've long said "I will be loyal to any LDS that is loyal to ME!"

Best regards,

Ray Purkis

What a perfect phrasing there, Ray! I'll be stealing it from you!!

Reactions: RJP
This topic always cracks me up!!

I am into a lot of hobbies in addition to diving. Shooting, motorcycling, and golf are the main ones. I have NEVER seen or heard a conversation like this in any of the other activities I am serious about. For some reason the training and travel aspect seems to build some sort of false loyalty to a particular shop. As someone stated, the shop is NOT your friend in most cases. It is a business and they seem to be using guilt to generate repeat business.

Spend your money wherever you like and if you get any $hit for it then you know you made the right decision.

I had never even heard of this concept of divers feeling some sort of loyalty or obligation to their local dive shop (e.g., the one that certified them) until I started reading SB. As I recall, my classmates and I who got certified at some shop I've long since forgotten about all went separate ways and used whatever local shop, on-line store, or other source we felt gave us the best service. It seems crazy in this day and age to limit oneself to a single source for all one's diving needs.

:cheerleader:Thank you for all your responses! You made me feel better for checking another LDS that didn't certified me. They seem very welcoming and I feel safer w them.:wink:

The reason divers have the false sense of loyalty, is because of the guilt trip. Or sometimes downright mean attitude the LDS gives you. If they even have a hint of you being in another store. My local LDS is Famous for that. So now I drive an hour away to a different one. It was a miserable experience everytime I walked in the place. I even lost a lot of money on the dive con classes I was taking because I got so frustrated with them.

I go to the LDS where I get the best service, who I trust the most in terms of equipment service, has the class I want. So it can vary. Trust and Service is very important in looking for LDS
Diversity is also good, you may find that your buddy likes and use another dive shop and to him it is just as good. Keep good relations with all LDS

Hitting the nail on the head:dance:
As I've long said "I will be loyal to any LDS that is loyal to ME!

I'm a big fan of going to multiple shops. I have recieved certificates from 3 seperate shops. I wanted to many ways of doing something before I went pro. I support them all promoting their events. In my opinion most shops carry good variety of accessories etc. Really how many bc or wetsuits do you buy a year but how often do you buy a new accessory? Maybe looking for a reel? Some want small compact others want long line. I often need to shop many shops to avoid shopping online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom