Using the Shoulder Dump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

p1p

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently became acquainted with using the shoulder dump on my Zeagle backplate, instead of the inflator hose end.

Some folks have cautioned me against using this regularly, as the elbow area, etc is a weak point.

So thought I'd ask this question here.

I do have one follow on question.

I have the Ranger style 44pd bladder on my BP, and find air trapped in my bc I cant get out, except to go vertical (shoulder roll, back arch, none work).

Suggestions appreciated.

thx!

I think the reason claim the elbow to be a weak area is that people pull too hard. It doesn't take much to open the valve and I think people have a tendency to pull harder in order to release more air.

Better yet, get horizontal and use the bottom dump.

yea, every time I try and get the bottom dump, cant seem to find it, so gotta work on that one.

it takes practice, in time you won't even have to feel for it, you'll just reach back and tug on it.

I would probably continue to use the shoulder dump and practice being horizontal, and then move to the back dump later. I spent a lot of time in the pool getting used to both :)

Your should probably realize that one of the reasons some divers critic should pull dumps is not because they are frail but because they consider them an undesired failure point. Divers who follow a KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) ideal regardless of the label (HOG, DIR, etc..) don't like any added failure points, regardless of how well its made. The valve Zeagle uses is pretty robust. It still does have moving parts though and can fail when abused or neglected.

Regardless, get used to the butt dump. Using it encourages proper horizontal trim which reduces gas use.

Jeff the pull dump could see more abuse from pulling on hose as it would take more force, also sitting in front of you , you can hear it. don your cold water gear submerge and if it is empty, some might pull harder cause they cannot hear it.

learn as suggested and with a dry suit you have to roll to vent, that might even help the trapped air, or could actually what is trapping your air, so try dumping BCD then suit, and Vise versa.

It can become a weak point as pointed out already if old or abused, like my gear is both at this point old and abused. About like me.

Anyway, I got used to using it and one day it failed (stuck open). I don't use much weight luckily so I didn't even notice the problem until I surfaced, then holding a big camera was an issue. I did a couple of quick tugs and it set again, but the point is, it can fail eventually.

I don't use it anymore, but if I had a new one I would probably go ahead and use it...depending on what you are doing it's nice.

Again, as stated people usually tend to tug too hard, thinking they will get more air out. It's like the holding the hose over your head for 5 minutes thinking that something magic will happen. : )

I recently became acquainted with using the shoulder dump on my Zeagle backplate, instead of the inflator hose end.

Some folks have cautioned me against using this regularly, as the elbow area, etc is a weak point.

The biggest mistake that people make is pulling on the corrugated hose, rather than the power inflator.

The cable that runs from the shoulder dump is connected to the top of the inflator, so it only takes a slight pull on the inflator to open the valve - however, the corrugated hose isn't connected to the cable at all, so it has to be pulled MUCH harder in order to stretch far enough to open the valve, thus causing undue stress.

Pull the inflator, and you will be fine!

:)

You beat me to it Scott. I see it all the time especially when a diver is having trouble at his safety stop with arms across the chest trying to squeeze gas out of a jacket with fist firmly clenched around the corrugated hose.

Back
Top Bottom