USS Indra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ItMustBeJames

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm doing wreck training with my LDS on the USS Indra over the 4th of July weekend. Does anyone know how deep it is and what the conditions are like mid-summer (on an average day)?

I've been able to locate the coordinates, but no depth information.

One of my favorites. The previous post is acurate. I have seen the temps in mid summer at 78-80. This wreck generally has several sharks that seem to hang there alot. One has a part of his fin missing. Last year I dove the Indra at least ten times and I saw that same shark there every time. Real curious too!

One of my favorites. [...] I have seen the temps in mid summer at 78-80. This wreck generally has several sharks that seem to hang there alot.

Great! I'm really excited. I haven't been down to NC to dive yet! Do you know what kind of sharks are around?

Sand Tiger Sharks for the most part. Ask the DM where they usually hang out and he/she will give you some good tips. There is sometimes an Octopus hanging around somewhere too that you might want to ask about.

The Indra is a great place to get started in NC.

Rich

Here's a little more:

Olympus Dive Center - Wreck Diving
DDC Dive Sites
History of The USS Indra (ARL-37)

Basically, the Indra is the standard destination for most of the half-day charters out of Morehead City and Beaufort. Also, some of the charters use the Indra as their second dive after hitting the deeper off-shore wrecks. At times this wreck can get very crowded.

The Indra isn't a terribly exotic wreck to dive, but it's where most of us around here got started wreck diving. Enjoy your trip!

For what its worth,
One interesting thing about the Indra is, if you are on the bow the anchor chains are stretched out in front of the wreck. According to one of the boat captains in Morehead City, when the ship was first sunk, the anchor was right under the bow. Subsequently a storm came thru and pushed the ship back almost 300' in the sand, till the anchors stopped it. According to my source, the way that he discovered this was that they where on the numbers to tie into the boat davits on the superstructure at the stern and he landed on the bow. This is the same storm that took most of the Superstructure off of the deck and deposited it on the sand on the Starbord side.

Look for the Baracuda that hangs out in the remaining part of the superstructure on the Starboard side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom