USS Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they had the flight deck at 150' they were on the wrong ship.

Most divers can spend several dives on the Island and still not see it all, and never go into deco. What makes Oriskany really uniques is that the dive can be what you want it to be - from a single 80 to a rebreather & scooter, just about everyone has a great time and VERY few are disappointed.

Dynasty:
I reserved my spot this upcoming Tuesday. I'm going to make some other dives while I'm in town. What are some other good sites to see there?
We just returned from there; dove several sites except the "O". We've now booked our trip to go back and dive the "O" at the end of August.

We enjoyed all the dives we did there, but we really liked the Pete Tide II, San Pablo/Russian Freighter and the USS Massachusetts.

Several good operators in the area -- we dove with Gary's Gulf Divers and Southern Offshore Adventures and would recommend both.

Have fun!

OCDinNC:
So what is you guys' opinions on that? When you dive it, are you doing tech w/ doubles and deco bottles, etc, or just going down with a big single, and skirting the whole deco issue? Anyone want to say what depth you're going to on it? What's the coolest thing to see on it for you? Or is it just the fact that it's a BIG A-- aircraft carrier? I would love to plan a tech dive on it, but would prefer some get-acquainted dives first, if it's really that interesting. No slams on the boat--- I'm just asking opinions and information. Thanks.

The first time I dove the "O" I did it on a single AL 80. The top of the structure is about 68-70 flight deck at 137. The pry-fly bridge which is located at the back of the smokestack is very cool to enter and check out at a depth of 80-90. The Nav bridge and flag bridge at 100-110 located in the front are very cool as well. Above that there are many very cool swim throughs. To maximize you dive on the "O" enlist the services of some of the many Divemaster/guides that work many of the local boats. For $25-$50 dollars extra they can really make your experience one to remember beyond what it would be regularly. I would however recommend a single 100 to make the dive on the really enjoy your time time. Going tec and going into deco is not neccessary on this dive unless that is part of your dive plan to do so.

There's alot of relief within the recreational range, whoever says otherwise, is nuts.

Does anyone have any recent water temps? I am coming down next weekend to dive the Oriskany for 3 days. I am very excited but not sure what to wear. I am used to cold water.

scuba_aqua_girl:
Does anyone have any recent water temps? I am coming down next weekend to dive the Oriskany for 3 days. I am very excited but not sure what to wear. I am used to cold water.

It depends on how cold nature you are; most are wearing anything from a ½ mil to a 3mil this time of year. If you are going deep you might want to look at something different.

A 3mil is more than sufficient. There is a thermocline at about 70 ft but the water temps are still high-70's.

As for the merits of the dive, I thought it was great. Plenty to see outside of the wreck and there are plenty of neat, easy swimthroughs. You can enter the stairwell at the bottom of the super-structure towards the bow and follow it all the way to the top. There are plenty of compartments worth seeing and the whole super-structure is cleaned out so the risk of entanglement is relatively low. An AL80 was plenty for me. You'll burn through NDLs at that depth before you burn through your air. My computer is very liberal and I was pushing the limits on both dives and still got out of the water with plenty of gas. A 100 or a larger steel would be good for safety margin or if you are a hoover.

That being said, I will prob not go back until I complete Advanced Nitrox/ Deco. The super-structure was cool, but it's like 10% (at most) of the ship. I want to get down on the hangar deck and see whats in there. I think it would be really cool to swim in that wide-open hangar, check out the lifts, the quarters, etc. that can only be enjoyed at deeper depths.

BTW- I went w/ Dr. Dive and we had a great experience.

Back on the 6th the coldest that I registered was 79 at 114'. I get cold easy and wore a 3/2 full suit and was very comfortable. I recommend wearing something because the jellies are around here right not. Good luck nad enjoy...

battles2a5:
BTW- I went w/ Dr. Dive and we had a great experience.

I always dive with at least a 3 mil, simply for the protection. I bought a nice 3 mil from the same company who made the Batman suits...the ones with the abs, pects, and deltoids already sewn in...

Dr. Dive was one of my instuctors throughout my training. I've trusted my life with him, and continue to do so. He's a great guy and I recommend him highly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom