USS Speigel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexan:
So, it's at the exact same depth, only right side up instead of upside down?

No. The report I saw on TDS stated there is a 3' difference in depth on the port vs. starboard side... so it's pretty damn near perfectly upright. It righted itself into the washout at a depth of 144, and the top of the wreck is 63 now instead of 50. [or there abouts, didn't go back and reference].

[just skimmed and didn't see any answer later in the thread]

Nic160:
We're heading down Friday. Has anybody heard anything about any of the other wrecks or reefs in the Largo area. Or any other Vis reports ?

Don't be assured that you'll be able to dive it by friday, but hopefully you will.

Apparantly the marina park enforcers have closed the wreck until they
can "make an assement" of it, make sure it's safe, and install new mooring balls.
Hopefully this won't take more than a day or two. But just beware of red tape.

simbrooks:
Its not unreasonable with a ship that size for there to be considerable eddies on the leeside, that would give it a nice socket for it to fall into, so unless more sand is removed in its current orientation with the ocean currents it might stay a while, who knows it might roll over again onto the port side if the same sand erosion goes on again?

As for currents, it was ok to have one blasting into the deck and up towards the port railing, i wonder what the currents will be like to dive the deck when it sits upright, would they race accross the deck and make it easy to stay on the lee of the superstructure, or are they going to be too much to cross the deck? Might try to get down there later this year once all this tropical nonsense has calmed down a bit :wink:

Dang Simon, you sound like you know what your talking about, I'm impressed :10:

baitedstorm:
Dang Simon, you sound like you know what your talking about, I'm impressed :10:
Years of education including sediment transport and scour in hydraulic conditions :wink:

A little personal experience of getting blown a couple mooring balls down the wreck probably wouldn't hurt with that understanding either.

Simpn's favorite saying is "It's sedimentary, my dear Watson". :D

Dayum. What a fabulous dive that will be. I can't wait to see it with my own two eyes.
The Duane remains one of my all time favorite dives, and this one is way bigger and I am assuming way more accessible. What a great thing for the mrechants of Key Largo.

AWSOME news!!!!

It was somewhere on keysnews.com (can't access the archives without a $1.25) but I read that the movement of the SG might mean trouble for the sinking of the Vandenberg off of Key West. When I was working down there, a lot of discussion centered on making sure she was sunk upright, and more discussion on making sure she stayed in place.
They were going to put a ton (probably several hundred tons) of weight in the bottom to keep her upright when she sank, but I imagine that this changes everything. Time for more studies / position papers....
http://www.sinkthevandenberg.org/

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom